Netcomm NTC-140W - will this work?

Nick Sullivan6 years ago

It's not on the HCL, but it's also not a cheap Chinese unit and does have NMEA-0183 compatible (V2.3). This forum is a bit crappy that I can't do a full search on this, or perhaps it's never been posted but do most devices work with Traccar and the HCL is just a list of devices that Traccar have feedback on? Any assistance is appreciated.

Anton Tananaev6 years ago

Can it report GPS data to the server? What format?

Nick Sullivan6 years ago

This is where the information goes a bit dry. The user guide advises. We don't have the device in our office, and the client has the device in his truck, but wants to continue using it (other than a traccar HCL device).
The user guide advises very little of the output https://www.netcommwireless.com/sites/default/files/ntc-140w-02-user-guide.pdf

NMEA support
The router supports the National Marine Electronics Association NMEA-0183 compatible (V2.3) standard of sending GPS data. The
standard includes “sentences” used to identify the type of data being sent and therefore defines the way the data is interpreted. The
supported GPS related sentences are listed below:
GPGGA – Global Positioning System Fix Data, Time, Position and fix related data for a GNSS receiver
GPRMC – Recommended minimum data for GPS
GPGSV – Detailed satellite data
GPGSA – Overall satellite data
GPVTG – Vector track and speed over the Ground

Pure NMEA doesn't include any device identification. Usually routers have some kind of extension to send id.

Nick Sullivan6 years ago

Ok - so basically I won't know fully until I get one of the devices in my hand and can read the output string and tell it to output an identifier with it's GPS information.

Thanks for your advice so far.

I guess so.