Objects tracking limit / dimensioning server capacity

Guillermo Quiros4 years ago

Hello guys, I am new here, Latin American based of company

I am planning on installing TRACCAR, my hardware config would be as follows;

For the Database, it will be a real hardware dedicated server / bare metal ( NOT a VPS or shared seever) (Located in Miami, so fiber would be showing low latency, below 50 Ms)

-128GB DDR

• 500GB SSD or NVMe drives over raid
  • 16 Cores / 32 Threads @ E5-2670 2.60 GHZ
  • Guaranteed speed 1 GB up and down

Datacenter in over 5 years have been down for me a total of 30 minutes (usually a fuse / breaker tripping...

For the WEB / VPS on 3 different facilities for redundancy and doing load balancing:

• 20 GB SSD
  • 2 or 4gb ram
  • 2 vCores
  • 100 Megs speed / each one

(If need to change something, let me know

My questions would be:
1-. How many objects can I track ?

2- which is the best Database server to be implemented (MariaDB) ?

3- Stability: Which Linux/bsd distro should install???

4- I assume NginX over Apache, right ?

Based on the scenario I am describing, how many devices can I safely track before server starts getting sluggish and over heavy load

Thanks for your help, guide and advise would be always appreciated

Anders Yuran4 years ago

Two bits from me
Mariadb/ MySql
In my opinion nginx is best on serving static content, apache best on dynamic.

Your suggestion points to:
MariaDB
NginX

Am I correct ?

And how many objects can we Track with that hardware ?

Anders Yuran4 years ago

What will the webserver be used for? Number of devices I cant comment. I have decided to go another route. I use a vps with 10 cores and 128 gb ram. Max devices will be 500. Then I setup another vps. Server power is cheap in Europe

My Specs are for dedicated servers ( I am trying to see if I can track at least 50k devices

I don't have the best answer, for you (Anders), but I think, if you Are doing 500 device's, that sound like too.much specs

I am trying to see.if.i can at least track 50k devices.with the hardware specs... That's why I am going to keep database on a power / real server and web servers over VPS

But, I am trying to see if.i am wrong with my setup, and make the corrections now that i can instead later while in production, I don't want downtimes

I heard that 32gb RAM and 8 cores, you can safely do over 10k objects, that's what I heard ..
But as well, I may be wrong ..I appreciate if anyone can guide me on this to make sure I get this right, as well what's the most stable OS for this

Thanks !!!