reverse geocoding reviews

mwpclark6 years ago

Hello, I read with interest your posting on options for reverse geocoding. For west coast US, is there any comment or preference among traccar users? Our vehicles sometimes go out of cell range, but 90% + should be reporting regularly. I do not see many errors on the android mobile apps.

We have been using google for reverse lookup, and since upgrading the traccar android apps, I chose high location accuracy and lost the addresses from reverse lookup. I switched back to medium accuracy and now the address/location reporting is spotty at best. We are under their 2500/day limit.

I have the ability to host my own such as gisgraphy, however my first choice would be open cage free trial then if it works upgrade to the $50/mo plan 10k request/day.

Any comments or recommendations?

Thanks
Mike

Anton Tananaev6 years ago

Google geocoding results shouldn't depend on accuracy setting in the app. I guess it's just a coincidence.

Most of the providers, other that Google, depend on OpenStreetMap data, so you should get very similar results in terms of quality. If you plan to host your own server, I would recommend Nominatim.