Supported animal tracking devices ?

muhamedoufi7 months ago

Are there any supported devices by Traccar that can track animals? If so, please provide me with a list of these devices.

Chris7 months ago

Hi muhamedoufi,

this depends entirely on the type of the animal. :-)

SCNR.

Chris

muhamedoufi7 months ago

I want to track Mammal animals , like camel, cows

Chris7 months ago

Everyone supported by traccar.
A camel has enough payload.

muhamedoufi7 months ago

I don't understand

Track-trace7 months ago

A tracker is just a tracker it does not matter if it is used for a dog , a person, a bicycle, a scooter, a car or a suitecase...

muhamedoufi7 months ago

You're correct; but there are specific constraints when tracking animals. These include the need for lightweight trackers, operating in remote areas with no connectivity (e.g., deserts), and having long-lasting battery life. No any device can meet all these requirements. This is why I inquired about animal tracking devices supported by Traccar, in case there might be solutions that partially address these challenges.

SwayDev7 months ago

As you yourself said, There is no one size fits all product for animal tracking use-case.

You have shared multiple scenarios and its hard to address them all.

It's best if you can share your specific requirement. That way members who know about that can help you.

Just some input based on my experience in animal tracking.

Consider the following points:

1. Size of animal
  2. Weight of animal
  3. Where does the animal spend most of its time, land, water, air, land and air?, land and water?
  4. Does the animal go underground
  5. Cellular coverage in the area the animal spends most of its time.
  6. If Desert or remote location (This is all together a different set of topic to discuss)

To summarize, what is the animal and where is the location of the animal?

You want to ensure the products is as light as possible such that the animals normal movements and activities are not impacted.

Not sure if this helps, search on widely known e-commerce portals there are tons of products for dogs/cats and small animals.

You can also look up "MicTrack" they have some new product with fairly good battery

muhamedoufi7 months ago

Hi SwayDev,

I appreciate your valuable insights into animal tracking, especially considering my specific case. My animals, which include camels, cows, and sheep, predominantly inhabit desert environments. Your suggestions make a lot of sense:

1. Size and Weight: I'll certainly look for lightweight tracking devices to ensure they don't disrupt the natural movements of these animals. Each of these animals has different sizes and weight capacities, so I'll be mindful of selecting devices that suit their respective needs.

2. Desert Environment: Operating in the desert is indeed a unique challenge, given the limited connectivity. I'll explore tracking solutions capable of functioning in remote, arid regions. Satellite-based tracking seems promising for this purpose.

3. Battery Life: The extended battery life is a key consideration, particularly in the harsh conditions of the desert. I'll prioritize devices that can endure these challenging environments for extended periods.

4. Customized Solutions: I understand that desert animal tracking may require specialized solutions. I'll look into options designed explicitly for this environment.

Your guidance is greatly appreciated, and it will undoubtedly help me make informed decisions regarding tracking solutions for my animals. Thank you for your thoughtful response. If you have any more insights or recommendations, please feel free to share them.

Best regards,

SwayDev7 months ago

You can consider LPWAN products if you are able to deploy "gateway" and the distance between the animals being tracked and the nearest civilization is not much. If you are in the Middle east or Africa, look for existing deployments/projects that you may be able to leverage their network (There are few such projects that already exist), you can always push the data from the gateway to Traccar.

Yes, satellite based devices could work, however battery life and size may be a concern.

For battery life consider devices that support solar charging as vast majority of the time your devices will be exposed to sun. I am not sure if there are small trackers with solar, I have seen large ones.

muhamedoufi7 months ago

I'm currently delving into the application of LPWAN technology for animal tracking, especially in regions with limited infrastructure. I have a series of questions related to the seamless integration of LPWAN data with the Traccar platform, and I would greatly appreciate your valuable insights and expertise:

1. What are the best practices for effectively integrating LPWAN data into Traccar? Are there specific steps or configurations I should be mindful of during this process?

2. In my exploration, I've come across four LPWAN technologies, namely LoRa, SigFox, NB-IOT, and LTE-M, which are outlined in this resource: LPWAN. Can you recommend which of these technologies would be most suitable for animal tracking, and how can I establish the essential "gateway" infrastructure?

3. Regarding LPWAN tags, I'm curious about their capability to communicate with multiple gateways, particularly the nearest one.
    This aspect is essential for my use case since I intend to deploy multiple gateways in various cities, including my location in Mauritania.

Your guidance on these matters will be of great help as I navigate this project. Thank you for your assistance in advance.

SwayDev7 months ago

Look at how 'Traccar client' sends data to "Traccar server" and implement the same approach on your devices or gateways.

Very hard to suggest a specific product at this point. You can also look at Private 5G or LTE / CBRS (if available in your country).

From what I understand your biggest challenge is network coverage/connectivity.
In such a case its best you narrow down on a technology that can get you maximum range. Then plan your deployment and how you can achieve maximum coverage.

In theory it may all sound easy to implement, however a lot of factors will come in play such as environment, topology etc..

muhamedoufi7 months ago

Ok Thank you