What makes a trip

David Cole7 months ago

How does the system decide what a trip is. I can see records for a long drive. And while searching an entire month I’m trying to see the start and end trips.

They’ll be about 300km each. But whenever I tell it to search I get no results

Anton Tananaev7 months ago
David Cole7 months ago

Hi Anton.
So I finally found my trips, and what seems to have happened is couple of months have been rolled up into one trip. So while there are config options for minimum, it doesn't have anyway force a split at a maximum. Either eduration or time.

So assuming all the defaults for tip distance etc, why would I have a 3000km trip spanning April to October.
I'd have expected each "trip" to be capped at least a 12 hour period rather than spanning multiple days.

And follow on question, is it possible I could break this 3000 km up into at least 1 day trips?

No. Care to provide more details on why it was detected as a single trip?

David Cole7 months ago

And is there anything used as part of the trip calculation for is the device is home or not.

I just noticed yesterday that tracking ended about 500m up the street. Was considering if there was an api call I could make to set the device to my home coordinates if a trip calculation does include some geo location.

David Cole7 months ago

I don't know why 3000km across 3 months was detected as a single trip. What can I provide you to work that out?

You have to read the documentation, review the data and figure out why it worked like that.

David Cole7 months ago

If I wanted a spreadsheet similar to used in the documentaion, is that pulled directly from the DB, or possible to pull via the otehr reports and paste into excel to work out those calculations?

David Cole7 months ago

So none of my entries seem right. This is trips since the start of the year. See how most of them are multi day,
https://imgur.com/a/VeOuy5m

And how can this be part of one trip?
https://imgur.com/rrJKqjV
I just dug into the GPS co-ords for those two entries and they are the same - exactly the same. And both at my house.

It seems like you completely ignored the documentation I provided.

David Cole7 months ago

In what way?

I've tried replicating the documentation to show motion, and calculated distance etc. And Can see these stopping and resetting. And yet things are still classed as moving (not stopped) and/or part of one trip.

It also mentions about the difference between the two power supply modes (mine is the 2nd).

There's a note down the bottom of the 2nd example with the cold start device, and the speed higher than zero. Ok I get that.

But I have an example where there was a 75 minute gap between entries. The distance resets to 0 after the 75 minutes, the speeds are 0. The definition in the documentation is says this should have been detected as a trip because it is below the speed threshold and minimum distance.
Examples

the documentation is says this should have been detected as a trip because it is below the speed threshold and minimum distance

Where does it say that? I must be blind because I see that the documentation says the opposite.

David Cole7 months ago

The report.trip.minimalNoDataDuration parameter is set to 600 (10 minutes). You can see that
the speed is never less than the speedThreshold, but the gap (rows 15 - 28) is more than 10
minutes. It is interpreted as a stop. Preceding trip is detected correctly. Following movement period is not
detected as a trip because the algorithm cannot determine when it ends. Only full stops or trips are recorded.

So in my system, report.trip.minimalNoDataDuration is default (not specified). I believe that's 500?
Speed drops to 0 you can see from the picture. And time between entries is 75 mins = 4440 seconds

So my this interpretation of that statement - the end gap of 75 mins with a speed of 0 should have signalled a stop and the end of a trip and a new trip starting. Is that not correct?

You said that below the threshold calculated as a trip. That's definitely wrong. Maybe as a stop, but it depends. If you're just looking at two points with a large gap, that's not enough.

David Cole7 months ago

On the point regarding it being picked up as a stop, I've found instances where I don't think that hasn't been picked up either.

Which I'd assume means that trips wont be detected