I am at loss here, can not seem to be able to connect Traccar to the GPS tracker

ac9 years ago

I have opened all required ports, but no connection has been established.

The log file just basically tells me that the server starts, but nothing else on it.

I even closed all firewalls, nothing.

Anything else I should watch for?
thank you

Anton Tananaev9 years ago

Are you sure port are visible from internet. You can check it here: https://www.traccar.org/port-check/.

ac9 years ago

damn it, I opened the ports on the router, but the link that you send me shows them as closed (8082 and 5001). I also used Port forward application to check for ports and it showed me that they were open, now it says they are closed.

So they were open for a little while and then they closed, wtf. How can this happen?

More importantly, the settings in the router show that parts 8082 and 5001 are both open for TCP traffic, but link that you send me shows the ports are closed.

how can i effectively open the ports?

thanks

Are you sure firewall doesn't block the ports?

ac9 years ago

I have switched OFF Windows firewall and shut down Kaspersky anti-virus (which has its own firewall). I cna not think of anything else blocking the Traccer server.

By the way, I only opened TCP ports 8082 and 5001, do I need also UDP 8082 and 5001 ports opened?

many thanks

You only need TCP for 8082. For 5001, it depends on your device (it can support both TCP and UDP).

Are you sure you have a public IP address?

ac9 years ago

I am 99% sure the IP is public, most ISP companies, if not all, provide always public IP in the USA. It is dynamic though.

by thee way, when I go your site and click Quick Start from Documentation, your site shows me my Public IP address, so I am almost certain my IP is public.

OK, so you have public IP... web interface (port 8082) is accessible locally, right? Then there must be some problem with network config (usually firewall or router).

ac9 years ago

yes, I can see the server locally when type in localhost:8082
As a matter of fact, I have typed in the IMEI of the GPS tracker broadcasting at 5001 set by SMS text.

flyjodel9 years ago

even if you type in a bad IMEI, the tracker-server.log file will show you the attempt of communication if your firewall/port forwarding otions are well configured.
In my example, closing Windows 7 firewall did not help, I had to create special rules allowing the inbound traffic.

ac9 years ago

thanks, can you share what type of special rules you created in the firewall?
This seems to be what I am missing.
thanks

ac9 years ago

thank you for the link Anton, I saw this earlier.

I was able to get the ports open (tested with several port checker sites) and I have a port for the localhost and one for the GPS tracker device open (evidently the crappy gateway was not telling me that the ports I was choosing before were used by another program, what a piece of crap, so there is no conflict now).

I am not out of the woods yet, the log file shows the following:

2015-07-28 20:15:36 INFO: Starting server...
2015-07-28 20:15:36 INFO: Operating System name: Windows XP version: 5.1 architecture: x86
2015-07-28 20:15:36 INFO: Java Runtime name: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc. version: 10.0-b23
2015-07-28 20:15:36 INFO: Memory Limit heap: 63mb non-heap: 96mb
2015-07-28 20:15:36 INFO: Version: 3.0-SNAPSHOT
2015-07-28 20:20:54 INFO: Closing connection by disconnect
2015-07-28 20:27:00 INFO: Closing connection by disconnect
2015-07-28 20:38:49 INFO: Closing connection by disconnect
2015-07-28 20:39:38 INFO: Closing connection by disconnect
2015-07-28 20:45:01 INFO: Closing connection by disconnect

so something disconnects the tracker, even though I am able to locally open the tracker and log in.
thanks

ac9 years ago

by the way, I manually start the server from the services, in case this makes any difference.
thanks

Are you sure that it's device in the log or it's just you testing open port 5 times? If device, looks like it doesn't send any data.

Starting service manually from the Services menu doesn't make any difference.