GPS with long battery time

Kjetil Pedersen6 years ago

Hello!
Need a tracker with looong battery time, any suggestions?

Anton Tananaev6 years ago

There were some suggestions on the forum. You can try searching.

renaud6 years ago

What is your definition of "looong"?

1-2 month maybe

renaud6 years ago

The lk209c-3G does 1 to 2 months with the firmware version 2017/09/29 (take care, former versions are bogus and will drain your data and battery in as low as 1 week). If you can use 2G and can find a lk209c 2G early models (with the physical removal button), they can do 3-4 months.
Of course, it will depend a little bit on how you configure them, how often you report and how much time they transmit data per day.

Paul6 years ago

I can't wait until the 3g chipsets get their power consumption down. It'll happen in time, I'm sure.

Has anyone tried the sigfox devices yet?

renaud6 years ago

Do not forget that the GPS module itself has a relatively high power consumption, so sigfox protocol only really helps when in sleep mode.

Paul6 years ago

Yeah, it would probably need some sort of low-power motion sensor to tell it when to sleep/wake the GPS.

renaud6 years ago

Most commercial trackers have that. Some even have what is called deep sleep where even the GSM module is powered off when no movement (actually vibration) is detected. There are of course drawbacks to that, you can't call or send a SMS to a device when its GSM module powered off, this is where sigfox could help.

Paul6 years ago

What do the 4g lte-only devices do for power consumption?

Are using Teltonika FMB920 and FMA204 now, they have deep sleep. So know about that. But need better battery time... Hope Teltonika will release any new Autonomous trackers soon..

renaud6 years ago

vjoycar devices also have deep sleep, but I really cannot recommend buying those as they really have very poor GPS and GSM reception.

SBH6 years ago

Have modified several devices with extra battery. But that usually means charging is very slow as well.
Also depends how often the position must be sendt, as GPS on-time drains power.

Other brands i can look at?

Mictrack5 years ago

If special request for 4G, maybe this one is better:
https://www.mictrack.com/shop/4g-magnetic-gps-tracker/