Android 11

alexsahka3 years ago

3 days and updated app is working great on Samsung Note20 Ultra / S20 used on 4 different phones. Except for one problem if a phone is rebooted the Traccar won't start by itself, anyone experiencing this?

Anton Tananaev3 years ago

I think some vendors just don't allow auto-start at all.

Dave3 years ago

Version 6.12 works good in 1 device (Xiaomi with original Miui based on Android 11) but in another no (Xiaomi with custom rom crDroid based on Android 11). Same for me issue for autostart.

Dave3 years ago

Unfurtunally bad news, also on Xiaomi with original Miui based on Android 11 Traccar Client can't stay alive, so 2 of 2 don't works.
I don't want to insist too much but sure that miss "permit always" option in localization is not the issue ?
On Android 10 no problems, works everytime good.

Again, we don't use background location, so it's not required to always permit location access.

Gabriel3 years ago

@alexsahka. I'm having the same problem here. restart the phone the app only works if I stop the service and start the service manually. on samsung A22

Tima3 years ago

Hello,
I'm having the same problem.

I downloaded the Traccar Client APK - to a Samsung Galaxy S9 - from the site here - on September, 13th.

Then I deactivated the "sleep mode" in the battery consumption.

It worked fine for 11 days.

However, since yesterday the app has switched off itself - and so I no longer receive any location updates.

alexsahka3 years ago

Unfortunately, the Traccar won't start after reboot on many, not "pure" Android phones now, (for example, Google phones are pure Android phones). The whole idea of Traccar become dead for me. Too many problems in the last 12 -18 months. I want to stay with a phone brand that I like.

Dave3 years ago

Yes, unfortunally it's so, on Android 11 it's not working good like previous, I've always liked it a lot but now I can't use more.

Samsung issue with Android 11:

https://dontkillmyapp.com/samsung

Basically Samsung battery optimization is getting to the point where it's not possible to run anything in the background on Samsung devices.

alexsahka3 years ago

Anton, the issue with the battery optimization on Samsung phones is gone, after Version 6.12 https://www.traccar.org/forums/topic/android-11/page/2/#post-64696
At this moment Samsung phones won't autostart the Traccar app.
So basically every time after manual or auto reboot need to start the Traccar.
Word of encouragement: some apps (not Samsung) just fine autostart after phone reboot.

AVArs3 years ago

Hi Anton. Have the same issues with Samsung S10: client works fine once I manually start the application. But seems like it starts (notification appears in the status bar) but location cannot be sent.
The thing I see in client log:

• right after reboot:
    Service Started
    Network Online
  • and only after manual start:
    Location update

Is there any solution for this?

MiracleToast3 years ago

Seeing the same behavior as AVArs -- Samsung S21 (Tmobile flavor) running Android 11. Optimization disabled, allow background activity enabled.

After reboot, service is started, and network reports online. But, you must open the client app in order to get the first Location update on the server.

Before you open the app, if you access 'running services' inside the 'developer options', it shows the traccar client running. Shows 1 service running:

TrackingService

and then 2 processes:

Traccar Client -- "Main process in use"
Google Play service -- "Service Google LocationManagerService in use"

And if you watch carefully, you see 3 other processes that appear for just a few seconds during initial boot:

Google Play service -- "Provider GservicesProvider in use"
Google Play service -- "Service PersistentInternalBoundBrokerService in use"
Google Play service -- "Service DroidGuardService in use"

Then, those last 3 then disappear, and don't believe they reappear, even after opening the app manually. But the first two processes persist.

Fwiw, I ran a packet sniffer on the server. Following a reboot, the ARP request for the server IP isn't made until after the client app is manually opened. So, not sure what client 'Network Online' means, but it appears that at the time it displays that message in the logs, that it has not actually attempted to connect/ping to the server IP yet.

Happy to help run other tests to resolve the Android11 on Samsung. Been using this software for years, been fine until Android 11 on Samsung :/

Thanks!

AVArs3 years ago

In the meantime I've found a workaround that seems to be working through reboot: to install the lates availabe version of the app with Background location permission. That's 6.6 version and I've had to install hidden app as standard version was automaticlly updated from the Google store. It can be found in Anton's github here: https://github.com/traccar/traccar-client-android/releases/tag/v6.6

I use it on 3 devices (S10, A50 and A52) and face no location reporting issues any more.

Anton, is it possible to build a standalone version with background location permission and make it downloadable on Traccar site?