Can I make a map with stops and a tail for Santa Tracking?

Jason Bourne3 years ago

I am trying to replace an old system where Santa on a fire truck was tracked and presented on a map. The homes where Santa was expected to stop were marked on the map so parents could anticipate when to go outside with their kids.

I've setup the server on a VM and have my mobile phone sending it location data perfectly. My question is can I somehow make the map available to the public without logging in, and how would I go about populating the map with the location of each delivery, and can a trail be drawn to show where the vehicle has been before?

Anton Tananaev3 years ago

You can have a link with token to view map without login. See "embedded or public view" section in user management documentation.

Showing trail is a bit more tricky. Will probably require some customization.

How many users are you expecting? Maybe we can help with it.

Klaas Strikwerda3 years ago

Hi,

Also happy to explain how i do such a thing.
In the link below you see an event of a bike racing we support with motor bikes (motards).
The track is what the bikers has to follow.
The placemarks (wayoints) are some points with the predicted passing time, so you have a clou when the race would pass that specific point.
The red line is a (line) Geofence. It reprecense a road that was closed that day, then the motards know not to use that road when they have to go to the head of the race again.
I attached one POC Two way radio's we use as a device. This device (also for communication) is in the first car on the head of the race.

The link will be open for a few days, please let me know if you are interested.
It is all Dutch but i think you get the idea.

Bike Race

Jason Bourne3 years ago

Klaas this is great! Does the existing documentation explain how to show waypoints?

Anton if the trail would require a lot of effort it may be too late in the year to pull that off?

Not too late.

Klaas Strikwerda3 years ago

Tracks and waypoints are not covered by Traccar, so you will find no documentation for it on the Traccar site.
The track and waypoints in my example are all done via a .kml file.
On the Traccar Server side you only need - out of the box Traccar installation.
As i understand well you already have that setup and running.
For your goal, create a User for this event, give it Admin permission for the moment (delete that when the User is configured well), Create a Token at the bottom of the Permissions section, save it for the moment.
The rest is creating Waypoints and a track(Trail as you name it i think).
Now it comes to what are you able to do already?
Can you create waypoints somehow (Google Earth,....)?
Can you create a Track based on the Waypoints?
A lot of programs or Sites for creating Routes for Motorcyclists ore bicycles are very handy for this.
Let me know, then we can go from there

I have created a small app to track Santa if anyone is interested:

https://github.com/tananaev/follow-santa

Feedback is welcome.

Jason Bourne3 years ago

Anton this is great. Can two separate maps be run with this? If you have two simultaneous santas tackling two different routes in the same community?

Yes, you can create two separate user accounts and duplicate the code.

Jason Bourne3 years ago

Anton this is really amazing. I do have a question for you with centering the map. Is it possible to make it center on say a geofence circle or a lat/long of the community so that when the user goes to /santa/ they don't have to zoom in ten times and move the map center around? Its cumbersome on a phone and I've not been able to find a way to make it zoom into street level.

It should already zoom to your polyline geofences. Do you have any?

Jason Bourne3 years ago

I do have a geofence. I'm assuming you might get emails to the support email address so I sent you an email just now with how to get to the web page so you can see what I am seeing.

Looks like there was an issue with negative latitude/longitude values. Please try updated version.

Jason Bourne3 years ago

Thank you Anton! That same link I emailed you is now working. I will experiment with multiple routes but I'm assuming just copying the santa directory to something unique and making the token unique will do the trick. This is so very much appreciated and I can't wait to see it in action!

Joystick3 years ago

Thanks for such a great idea mate. I'm testing it at the moment so I can also help our local kids track Santa's trip. Only one thing, It works as expected on iPad and iPhone in Chrome but does not seem to work in Safari. On iPad in Safari one can see the map but no geofence or device and on iPhone in Safari one can only see the Traccar icon.
Thanks again for such a great gesture in creating the Santa Tracker.