A vague question about getting data from vehicle devices.

Adrian Hodgson5 years ago

I apologise now, I do things like this to keep the brain active!

With some of the newer GPS devices offering a lot more then just a device with location and speed information, such as, ODB reading of car diagnostics, fuel levels, data readers, CAN bus, etc. Then the device sending that lot back to a traccar server.
How does one go about getting all this extra information out of the system?

I am reading things about web api's etc but it does not make a lot of sense to me yet, so I am wondering if there is a general broad method people are using to retrieve this information.

If I can get hold of a protocol document I should be able to discover the message format and where the data is in the string, but what next, is it done within traccar and the normal web interface or external to traccar and pulling information from my sql?

I guess what I am asking is there an explanation I can read of the steps needed to get data from the string sent to traccar. Perhaps then I can go away and play with more on my home server with some more intelligent devices.

i.e. it would be nice to have g sensors on my kit-car and use it to provide odb data back on how it it's doing.:)

Cheers

Adrian

Anton Tananaev5 years ago

If your device reports extra info and Traccar supports it, you should be able to get it via web app, mobile app, API and database. Like any location data.

Hi Anton,

I will have a look at a particular device type and try and ask a more specific question, there are going to be some new devices used at work, I will see if I can borrow one for a while and play with it at home before it is installed.

I think the make is sinocastel but I do not have the model number to hand. Work has them coming in very soon with a ID card reader. I do not understand why traccar would display this information as it is not location based information. But up to now I have only had chance to use the basic TK103 devices such as the GT02D units.

Anton Tananaev5 years ago

Traccar displays all the information, not just location. Not sure why you would think otherwise.

Probably a lack of understanding on my part.

The new devices are in and are EV-228LE units with RFID readers, which the supplier now says are not fully supported by traccar. Even though it was a question asked. I did request they send details such a protocol doc to Anton.

The basic GPS data is there location, speed, litres, ignition etc but the extra functions such as the data that comes in via a serial port for the RFID device is not.

Oh well.

Adrian