Accuracy of Traccar client compared to GPSLogger seems very different.

Dartymoor3 months ago

First time poster - great project, thanks to those involved. I've enjoyed the process of setting up a hosted server and playing with the client. It all looks very good - but with one really quite big problem.

The Traccar Client is somehow reporting some very large jumps in location - far more than normal GPS Jitter. I do suspect this is the phone I'm using, which is a Xiaomi Poco G4 and I am aware of the poor reputation this has for permissions, but I have given every permission I can to the client. One oddity in particular is that when I'm at home, every now and then the location is reported at a very specific location about six miles due East of me for one update, then flips back to where I actually am. Very odd.

So we might blame the phone, right?

Except that the same phone is also running GPSLogger, which I've run for many years, and that reports consistently and accurately.

I'm made up a side by side comparison of what Traccar and GPSLogger report of a journey I took today, which I think shows my problem quite clearly.

https://imgur.com/a/zCGmVJ6

Note: I'm also seeing similar behavior with Owntracks that I am with Traccar, so I don't think this is a problem unique to Traccar.

Both have the same Android 13 permissions. One possibly difference is that GPSLogger is installed via APK, because the author pulled it from the Playstore citing issues with permissions. Could that be the issue, and if so, how can I get Traccar to behave more like GSPLogger?

(As a Side question because I really like Traccar's webui, anyone got GPSLogger to report to Traccar as an alternative to Traccar Client?)

Thank you for any pointers.

Anton Tananaev3 months ago

What accuracy are you using on the client? And what's the location accuracy you're getting back?

Dartymoor3 months ago

On the Traccar Client

Location Accuracy: Medium
Frequency 300
Distance 5

The accuracy received by Traccar (using the More Details tab of the device during one of it's mis-reporting updates) is: accuracy Accuracy 1500

However - thanks to the documentation, I have now worked around this by approaching it from the GPSLogger angle and that is now working well as the client (and it saves me having to run two clients). For the benefit of anyone else, this is the Custom URL string I used which is talking very happily to Traccar once a minute.

https://YOUR.TRACCAR-URL.COM/?id=YOUR_ID&lat=%LAT&lon=%LON&hdop=1&altitude=%ALT&speed=%SPD&batt=%BATT×tamp=%TIMESTAMP

Thanks for your help, and a great bit of software.

Dartymoor3 months ago

Incidentally, I installed the Android Traccar client on my wife's Moto G4, leaving all the settings as default apart from server URL - and that's occasionally jumping to that same position due east as well. Seems quite odd.

Medium accuracy uses cell and wifi for location, so depending on your area it might not be very accurate. If you want real GPS location, you should configure high accuracy.

Dartymoor3 months ago

That could it explain both the inaccuracy whilst moving and this strange persistence of a specific location far away from here, yes. Due East is where the strongest cell signal is from, and if it's only using 1 or 2 cell towers to triangulate I can imagine it could end up with such strange results. It was also explain how other apps are behaving differently.

I'll certainly adjust that on my wife's phone and I'm sure High Accuracy will help, thank you.

I'm a little surprised the default setting is so inaccurate for me, but obviously it doesn't happen to everyone so perhaps there's something unusual this area - it is quite hilly so perhaps that's the cause.

Anyway, thanks again.

If you or your neighbors moved a wifi router from one place to another, that might cause your location to show at the old place because Google still hasn't updated the database. That's one possibility.

Dartymoor3 months ago

To follow this up: Switching the Accuracy within the Traccar Client app on Android did indeed resolve this. Two devices have now been running for a few days with very good accuracy, only showing normal GPS jitter.

Thanks for your help.