Android client v10.1.5 timing anomaly

TimD 6 hours ago

After a trip out today I noticed that the client running on my phone had reported approximately twice the number of data points than my wife’s phone for the same journey. We both have identical OnePlus 12r phones both running client v10.1.5 with the location settings: Accuracy High, Distance 0, Interval 30, Heartbeat Disabled, Offline buffering on, Wake lock off, Stop detection on, System location off. The only relevant difference is that for the duration of this journey I was also running the BMW Motorrad navigation software which keeps the GPS active.

I’ve done a little bit of testing and I note that when using the client configuration above with stop detection disabled (no other GPS software active) I will receive position reports approximately every 30 seconds as expected, however if I keep the GPS active using GPS Keeper I will then receive reports approximately every 15 seconds. I’ve tried increasing the Interval to 60 seconds and 120 seconds and again in both cases I see reports at approximately half the set value ie: 30 and 60 seconds. This anomaly only occurs when using the Fussed Location service, it doesn’t appear to happen if I select Use system Location in the app.

Anton Tananaev 5 hours ago

Can you please provide full settings.

TimD 4 hours ago

Sorry I thought I had given all the relevant settings. To clarify, during my trip out today my traccar client settings were:

Device identifier - <my device id>
Server URL - http://<my server ip>:5055
Location accuracy - High
Distance (meters) - 0
Interval (seconds) - 30
Stationary heartbeat (seconds) - Disabled
Offline buffering - On
Wake lock - Off
Stop detection - On
Use system location - Off
Password - (blank / not set)

When I performed the additional testing I changed the server address to point to a test server on my LAN, and set: Stop detection to Off. All other settings remained the same.
I later repeated a couple of tests with: Use system location On and noted the anomaly didn’t occur with this setting on.

Are there any other phone configuration settings you require.?

Anton Tananaev 4 hours ago

This is your problem:

Distance (meters) - 0

Distance is a mandatory parameter. If you set 0, it basically means upload every single position.

TimD 4 hours ago

Thanks for the clarification.

I know this is the case with 'Highest' accuracy setting but as the option for interval is only presented when distance is set to 0 with the 'High' accuracy setting I'd assumed the reporting changed from distance to time based.

Anton Tananaev 3 hours ago

That's actually a bug. Fixing.