Battery Drainage Issue with Traccar Client

Nathan Watkins2 months ago

Hi,
I am using Traccar client for myself and my team members to be able to see each other's location. However, we are finding that the app is draining a lot of battery power on our phones. We all have late-model iPhones.

Ideally, we would like to be able to see locations with an accuracy of within 10-20 metres.
We would also like to be able to see when we are on the move. For example, if we are in a car or on public transport, we would like to be able to see when we are moving along relatively frequently.
When we are static at a location, we would like updates relatively frequently - eg every 5-15 minutes.

Our current settings are
Location accuracy - Medium
Frequency - 300
DIstance - 10
Angle - (nothing entered)

Any suggestions to improve out battery usage would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Anton Tananaev2 months ago

Setting distance or angle makes it very inefficient. That's because to calculate distance or angle, we have to constantly update location internally in the app.

Okay - so if I set distance and angles to zero - what does that mean in relation to our ability to track one another location?

Anton Tananaev2 months ago

It means you would have to rely on the frequency only.

Ah okay - so if I make distance and angles zero, and frequency say 60 (1 location hit every minute).
Then the app would be updating every minute as opposed to trying to update constantly with movement?
If that's correct, it might work and I'll try that