Client and server stopping. Looking for ways to restart client.

mwpclark7 years ago

Hello. I have traccar server installed on a CentOS linux physical server. This server runs a backup script twice per week, it is resource consumptive and the traccar server daemon usually dies during this process. I have developed a shell script that runs on a cron every 10 minutes, and if traccar stops, it issues the stop command then the start command, and notifies me by email. This works perfectly so far.

I have traccar client installed on 3 tablets with cell modems. The clients stop reporting sometimes, possibly when the server dies, or possibly at other times. I am not 100% sure. Our work crews are sometimes not available by phone to restart the clients. If I restart the client, it starts reporting again.

When I notice that a client has stopped sending reports, I would like to find a way to restart it remotely. I have looked at a variety of remote apps and I have not found anything that seems like it would work. Either a PC >> Android or Android >> Android program would be fine. If I have to root the tablets I guess I can do that.

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Cheers
Mike

Anton Tananaev7 years ago

Your Client issues definitely have nothing to do with server restarts. What version of Android do you have on your tablets? If it's a recent version, make sure that included Traccar Client in the battery optimization exceptions. On my phone it's in:

Settings > Battery > Battery optimization (in the top menu)

mwpclark7 years ago

Thank you Anton, these are Samsung SM-T377A tablets with Android 6.0.1 on AT&T Wireless.

The control is in Battery > More > Battery optimization > All

It's not called exceptions, there are sliding switches for all apps. Most of them are set to On.

I set it to Off for Traccar on one tablet and restarted Traccar Client.

I will follow through with the other tablets when I get my hands on them.

Thank you so much for this great program. As our service business fleet grows, it will be invaluable.

Mike