Device is 'Unknown' for longer than expected

Nick DL4 years ago

Hi everyone
I have this 'issue' where my device (ST-901) is marked Unknown for longer than the period it's set to report.
For example: ACC OFF -> report every 15 minutes. But it stays Unknown up until I start my car again and ACC goes to on, then it works like expected.

I have reasons to believe this is with Traccar, because I never touched my GPS tracker and it used to work fine before updating.

Parts of my config that might lead to this:

<entry key='filter.enable'>true</entry>
<entry key='filter.distance'>5</entry> 
<entry key='filter.zero'>true</entry>

Running in Docker, latest version...

Does anyone know what is causing this? I can't rely on accuracy when it's been unknown for like 6 hours sometimes...

Anton Tananaev4 years ago

There is no need to guess where the problem is. You can easily check logs and find it out.

Nick DL4 years ago

Well that's the thing, I don't get any errors that I think are related to my issue. What I have noticed is that it only logs locations when the tracker was ACC on...
Other than that, a bunch of this:

HikariPool-1 - Failed to validate connection com.mysql.cj.jdbc.ConnectionImpl@53285ee5 (No operations allowed after connection closed.). Possibly consider using a shorter maxLifetime value.

The question is not about errors. Am I understanding correctly that you claim that device reports data, but still shows status as unknown? That can be easily validated by looking at the log.

Nick DL4 years ago

As I said, the only thing that shows up in my log is INFO messages of location reports when the Tracker had it's ACC wire turned on. It's off at the moment, and it's been for an hour. It's been "Unknown" for the same time.
Other than that it's only the HikariPool-1 message in the log.
The thing is, it has been working for over a year perfectly fine. I've never touched the tracker's physical install or settings. The only thing I've done is updated Traccar...

If device doesn't send anything for more than 10 minutes (configurable), the status changes to unknown. That's expected behavior.

Nick DL4 years ago

With all due respect but may I ask you read my case explanation again? It seems like you do not understand the issue here.

• It's perfectly okay for it to change to unknown after 15 minutes of inactivity.

The "Last Update" value works perfectly fine when my Tracker reports the engine of my car is on.

However, when it is off (and thus the ACC is off) the Last Update value will not at all update, even though my tracker reports it's location every 15 minutes regardless of the engine being on or off.
These location reports do not show up in the log either.

Just to rule it out: I just checked my Tracker's connections and they are wired perfectly. I've never changed configuration to my tracker since the day I installed it.

Traccar logs all incoming traffic. If you don't see messages in the log, it means that it hasn't received anything. Which probably means that your device hasn't reported anything.

It seems like you are convinced that it's a server issue, so I don't think we can have any productive conversation here.

Let us know if you find the issue.

Nick DL4 years ago

Maybe it was a change in config, or the way the 'Last Update' handles new information after a period of 15 minutes...

But you are right, we aren't getting anywhere.
I'll definitely continue debugging on my own

Nick DL4 years ago

So because I care about this project, I continued my investigation.

I set my Tracker's ACC off logging interval to 2 minutes, and it kept working for 15 minutes and longer. After that, I set it to a value that's above the Unknown timeout and it stopped updating.

Do what you want with this info, I just hope the development team will at least take a look at the code to check.

If you want us to take a look, you have provide evidence of the issue. If you don't trust Traccar logs, there are other options, like Wireshark, that will show whether device actually sends anything.

Dibbs4 years ago

@Nick DL

These location reports do not show up in the log either.

If you are checking the log and there are no data packets from your device when the ACC is off - then as much as it's not the preferred answer - it is highly unlikely that the device is sending data to the server, despite what the settings are.

Does your device have any kind of serial\USB connectivity and the ability to terminal\putty in see what it is doing?