Geo-Fence & Integration Related Queries

jaimzj8 years ago

Dear Anton,

I have been seeing the updates of Geo-fence and events etc. being added to the code by you and other contributors. I have few inputs/feedbacks and queries. Which may be helpful or the future/existing users.
Based on my exposure to this Industry in the country I live, I have noticed a vast majority businesses are now switching to traccar or using traccar already.

1. There are a lot of users (already using traccar) with their own Web-app/front end, without using traccar API (But directly accessing database) and making entries and reading the default traccar database.

Q1: Will such users of traccar be able to directly create geo-fences and events entries into the db. without having to use the traccar API.

Q2: Event's related to geofence and other events that I do see in the code, will it make an entry into the database as well as and when these events are triggered. and can these events as well be created/managed directly from DB.

Also, on an off topic subject,. I believe for many such users, Even sending commands might not be possible, as they are not using web-services.

These are just few of my thoughts :) I do understand the benefits of using API. However The reason why i mentioned this approach is, specially for users who integrate directly with the database of traccar.

Anton Tananaev8 years ago

Q1: You will be able to create geo-fences, but you would probably have to restart Traccar service to update in-memory cache.

Q2: Yes, events are stored in the database as well.

I think users who integrate directly through database mostly interested in just raw data from devices. This use case will be definitely supported. If you want to use some extra features provided by Traccar, I would recommend to use API.

jaimzj8 years ago

Dear Anton,

Thank you for the helpful information :)

Regarding commands feature I do have a question,. If its only possible to send commands via/using API.,

I did have a look at the swagger file., I dont see any input data? for command how do we do it? or am I interpreting the swagger file wrong.

How do We initiate commands to a device, and would authentication be mandatory for it and if mandatory will the user authenticated need to have the device linked to his account.

Thats because in my case, I have an authentication system different one than the traccars default

-Thanking you in advance

Anton Tananaev8 years ago

The only way to send commands is via API.

Input data is different per command, so it's not listed in swagger.

Authentication is mandatory and user has to have access (be linked) to the device.

I guess you can extend the authentication to support other options. Pull requests are welcome.