GlobalSat Tr203

captain paranoia8 years ago

Hello all.

I'm looking to start using Traccar with some GlobalSat TR203 trackers. To test the feasibility, I've created an account on the demo server, and modified the configuration of the tracker to set the APN, IP and port to point to the demo server. I've added a device to my server account, giving it the IMEI of the tracker (copied from the IMEI field read back from the tracker itself, so known to be correct).

Now, in the devices panel, I can see a 'last update' entry, which initially gave me confidence that the device had connected with the server, but the server is not reporting any further messages received from the device.

I installed the Android client on my Hudl tablet, and that connected perfectly, and reports positions properly.

So there are a couple of questions

1. is that 'last reported' status for the tracker as a result of receiving a message from the tracker, or is it simply the time that I created the device in my account?

2. I notice that the tracker has a blank 'Device' field. Should I enter a value here, rather than using the IMEI? There's also a password field. Does the Traccar server require a password? I didn't see a field for it in the device creation panel.

Traccar looks fantastic; just what I need. If I can get these trackers talking to the server, I'll set up my own server on an RPi or something similar.

Thanks in advance.

Well, I think I've just answered the first question: I edited the device details, and the 'last update' changed in response. So it looks like the device is not reaching the server. Hmmmm...

I used port 5043, as suggested for all GlobalSat devices.

Anton Tananaev8 years ago

Try second demo server. Port 5043 might be closed on the main demo server.

I think most GlobalSat devices use IMEI for identification. Password is not required as far as I know.

Thanks, Anton; I'll give that a try.

Right, I've tried the demo 2 server, and still no joy with the TR-203. The Hudl2 with the Traccar Android clinet app works fine.

So I thought I'd try running a server on my PC, so I can get access to the server log file.

Installed and running, and provides the UI via localhost:8082

I created port forwarding rules on my router, to pass TCP & UDP ports 5043 and 5055 to my PC (to allow GlobalSat and Android devices to connect, I hope)
I reconfigured the tracker with my global IP, but deleted the APN, as I don't have a domain name. (Does this sound sensible? the Android client allows IP or domain name)
I configured the Android Traccar client on the Hudl2 to point to my IP, changing only the IP from the working demo2 setting domain name.
I added the TR-203 and Hudl2 devices to my server.
If I refresh the screen, I get no 'last update' entry for either device, not even for the device creation/edit time.
The Hudl client app 'status' is reporting 'send failed', so clearly I'm not managing to connect to my server for some reason.

The tracker-server.log is as follows:

2016-05-09 22:45:41  INFO: Operating system name: Windows XP version: 5.1 architecture: x86
2016-05-09 22:45:41  INFO: Java runtime name: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM vendor: Oracle Corporation version: 24.71-b01
2016-05-09 22:45:41  INFO: Memory limit heap: 247mb non-heap: 118mb
2016-05-09 22:45:41  INFO: Character encoding: UTF-8 charset: UTF-8
2016-05-09 22:45:41  INFO: Version: 3.5-SNAPSHOT
2016-05-09 22:45:50  INFO: Starting server...

It hasn't updated since I started the server.

Any suggestions, anyone...?

Just found that...

The port checking tool https://www.traccar.org/port-check/ says both ports are closed. I need to find out why. I've used the same port forwarding method I've used for other devices...

d'oh! I forgot Windows Firewall.

Port expections added for OSMand and GlobalSat
Both ports now open.

Also added 'enable' flags for the two services in the traccar.xml file: not sure if this is necessary (there are no enable flags for any device, as default configuration).

I added settings for the globalsat.format0 and globalsat.format1, as mine seems to use different strings.

Hudl now registers with server and reports its position, and I can see activity in the log file.

But there is no activity at all for the GlobalSat, so it downs't seem to be able to communicate with the server. It has established a GPS fix and GPRS connection.

I had to set a blank APN on the GlobaSat tracker, as I don't have a domain name, but I set a valid IP address, and hoped it would communicate via that. But it doesn't seem to be.

Does anyone think it might need a domain name in the tracker APN configuration field?

> Also added ‘enable’ flags for the two services in the traccar.xml file: not sure if this is necessary

Configuration page says I have to add an enable:

https://www.traccar.org/configuration-file/

"For boolean (true/false) values, if the value is not specified then server treats it as false. For example, if you remove [protocol].enable line from the config file it will effectively disable protocol."

> Does anyone think it might need a domain name in the tracker APN configuration field?

<goes off to consult Google about APN>

"An Access Point Name (APN) is the name of a gateway between a GSM, GPRS, 3G or 4G mobile network and another computer network, frequently the public Internet."

So yes, I do need one. Better go and find it...

Learning new stuff all the time...

Update the page for configuration file. The "enable" flag is no longer required. If you have a port set for a protocol, it's enabled.

APN is access point name that your phone company should give you. Device needs it to connect to GPRS. It has nothing to do with your server.

captain paranoia6 years ago

I resurrected this project...

I have the latest server (4.0) running on my PC.
I have the Traccar app running on my Android phone.
I have the TR-203 configured with a SIM, and the correct APN details.
I can use the TR-203 config tool to monitor its activity, which confirms it is connecting to GPRS, and sending the position report.
I have ports open in my router firewall, with event logging enabled.
I can see from the router security logs that both the android and TR-203 messages are being received by the relevant ports (5055 & 5043), and are being allowed to pass.
I have configured my Windows Firewall to open the relevant ports.
Traccar Port checker confirms that ports 5043 & 5055 are open.

I have added the Android phone to the Traccar Server, using the device ID.
I have added the TR-203 tracker to the Traccar Server, using the IMEI.

The Android phone connects to the server immediately, and I can see its activity in the Traccar log file.
The TR-203 tracker does not report in to the server, and I can see no activity in the Traccar log file for port 5043.

The Traccar Server does not appear to be listening to port 5043.

How do I get the Traccar Server to listen to port 5043?

I've used Wireshark to monitor the traffic coming in to my LAN from the router.
I can see the message packets from the TR-203 tracker. They are 91 byte UDP packets, containing an obvious lat/long position.

GSr,[IMEI],2,2,00,,3,120918,224235,W[redacted],N[redacted],67,0.03,110,7,1.0,91*7c!

This appears to be the correctly formatted GSr report from the TR-203 tracker.

Found the Android app traffic. It's http.

Is the TR-203 using the wrong traffic protocol?