GPS data postprocessing to get more correct position

Jakatal 4 years ago

Hi there,

I run a GPS-RTK base station myself. This station enables very precise localization (~3 cm precision) and is for example used for machine control on consturciton sites but also in agriculture.

RTK is a correction value valid for a very short time in a very narrow region only (usually <20km around the RTK base) - otherwise the correction is not reaching this high precision.

Recorded GPS coordinates can be also afterwards (post-processing) be corrected with RTK correction data in case they have been recorded. Would this be possible with Traccar? Take the recorded GPS data, apply the RTK correction and then restore it back? Or is ther even a solution, couldnt find any yet...

Thanks.

Anton Tananaev4 years ago

I thought GPS RTK should be applied on the GPS receiver side, which means the device itself.

Jakatal 4 years ago

In the end RTK just sendsthe signal about what correction is needed at a certain timepoint. In most cases the device does it on edge... as it needs to know the exact position to do steering, e.g. agriculture. Then a stable online connection is needed all the time the RTK base. However, if you record a track and can post-process the RTK correction on server side as well. E.g. when you go with your bike and just record the trail and want it to be as precise like only a few centimeters... then you can do the correction afterwards. You just need to make sure to have the right RTK-correction information recorded with the same time-stamps. Only a few seconds old RTK-information will destroy the correction values.

Maybe you can provide some details on how to correct signal on the server side. We only have coordinates on the server.

Jakatal 4 years ago

I think I do not understand your question.

Servers: stable connection to RTK-base and able to record the correction information

Once the server get the GPS data (offline recoreded), it takes the GPS point, checks the timestamp and looks up what kind of RTK correction was recorded at that time. This procedure is also know as PPK.

https://rtklibexplorer.wordpress.com/2017/08/21/ppk-vs-rtk-a-look-at-rtklib-for-post-processing-solutions/

Of course it only works if you have valid correction data from a base nearby. In my case everything around 20 km is fine.

You can probably have some script to update coordinates. Or add a handler to Java code directly to apply corrections.