GPS M508 Device timezone Handling question

Rakesh5 years ago

Hi,

First of all thanks much for developing such a wonderful platform.

I'm using Traccar on Google Cloud to track vehicles with GPS M508 devices. The devices are configured with IST time zone GMT +5:30 and there is not way to change this configuration. And the Server is configured by default on UTC.

My trouble is that "date & time" displayed in web interface is different than reported by device in server. To be precise, web UI adds 5.30 hrs to the time reported by device.

Based on some posts in this forum, I configured Device Attribute -> Time Zone = Aisa/Kolkata. But this has not helped.

Please see the sample below:

Server logs: 2018-12-12 13:17:17 INFO: [7a370c58] id: 13400006422, time: 2018-12-12 18:47:15, lat: 10.53725, lon: 76.19847, course: 107.0
Web Interface: Time 2018-12-13 12:17:17 am

Looking forward to a solution.

Anton Tananaev5 years ago

Which protocol are you using? Device timezone is only supported for some protocols. Ideally you need to set device timezone to UTC.

Rakesh5 years ago

The device is Gator M508, so I'm using Gator protocol. The protocol documents in your https://www.traccar.org/protocols/ page
Gator vehicle tracker communication protocol.doc
S208 S228 protocolENGLISH-st.doc

It doesn't support custom timezone, as far as I know. You need to use UTC on the device.

Rakesh5 years ago

I contacted device manufacturer and they said time zone can only be changed via their web software.

Now that I`m using Traccar, is there a way I could issue out of the box command from Traccar web to change time zone?

You can send custom command, but you need to know what the command format is.

Rakesh5 years ago

Thanks Anton. Luckily I had access to an account provided by device manufacturer. Used this account to configure devices to UTC timezone and then mapped back the devices to Traccar.

Works like a charm now!! Thanks for your support.