GPS v. Network in "Provider"

tacman11239 years ago

What's the best setting for "Provider" in the Android Client? I pretty much want the best location possible, either GPS or via the phone software, cell towers, etc.

I had it set to GPS, but it seemed to stop as soon as I got inside.

Anton Tananaev9 years ago

GPS is more accurate than Network provider, but it doesn't work indoors because walls and ceiling block satellite signal.

Network provider uses signals from Wi-Fi access points and cell towers to calculate location. It is less accurate, but it can work indoors. Sometimes it can be very inaccurate.

tacman11239 years ago

So is it a priority issue? When I'm outside, I want GPS, when inside I want the wifi/network. Can't it do both? Seems crazy to do just one or the other.

The problem is that Android doesn't have an API to combine both. Implementing it in the app causes problems with battery life.

I guess the choice depends on your use case.

I will try to implement combined provider in the next release, but it won't be as efficient as using standard ones.

tacman11239 years ago

How did the old version work? At this point, I care less about efficiency than completeness. We're trying to track people as best as possible, and we can't tell them to switch providers every time they leave an indoor space.

Any suggestions as to what to do?

I have released Traccar Client for Android version 3.5 which includes a new implementation of mixed location provider.

tacman11239 years ago

Thanks, Anton, this is great!