High disk I/O in the traccar process

Giovanni Ramirez5 years ago

Hi

I'm having a huge disk usage (around 99% reads) in traccar, despite I'm not ugins it...only the GPS devices:

Total DISK READ :    1351.09 K/s | Total DISK WRITE :       0.00 B/s
Actual DISK READ:    1351.09 K/s | Actual DISK WRITE:       0.00 B/s
  TID  PRIO  USER     DISK READ  DISK WRITE  SWAPIN     IO>    COMMAND                                                                                                                                                                               
 3869 be/4 root     1351.09 K/s    0.00 B/s  0.00 % 96.57 % java -jar /opt/traccar/tracker-server.jar -Xmx3G conf/traccar.xml
 1536 be/4 root        0.00 B/s    0.00 B/s  0.00 %  0.00 % [xfsaild/dm-0]
    1 be/4 root        0.00 B/s    0.00 B/s  0.00 %  0.00 % systemd --switched-root --system --deserialize 22
    2 be/4 root        0.00 B/s    0.00 B/s  0.00 %  0.00 % [kthreadd]
    3 be/4 root        0.00 B/s    0.00 B/s  0.00 %  0.00 % [ksoftirqd/0]
    5 be/0 root        0.00 B/s    0.00 B/s  0.00 %  0.00 % [kworker/0:0H]
    7 rt/4 root        0.00 B/s    0.00 B/s  0.00 %  0.00 % [migration/0]

Is this high I/O normal?

Best Regards

Anton Tananaev5 years ago

What database are you using?

hi Anton, Thanks for replying

I'm currently using H2 (the default DB), planning to move to MariaDB

That's your answer. Database is using the disk.

ok Anton, but is it normal to have a 99% disk usage, even if no user is connected to the web interface, neither no GPS device is accesing traccar? (I've disconnected all GPS devices in order to see what is happening)...

If the DB is making some additional actions (i.e reindex, log cleaning, etc) how Could I determine what is going on inside the DB? I can't see anything about this through the logs (/opt/traccar/log/tracker-server.log, wrapper.log.*, journactl -af -u traccar)... I think the cause I cannot generate reports (timeout) could be due to this huge I/O...

Best regards

That's why you should never use H2 for production. I don't know if there is a way to tell what's happening in the database. You should probably check H2 documentation, but I would just recommend to migrate asap.

OK Anton, I'm preparing since yesterday the new virtual machine to make the migration....I just need to "copy" or migrate only the device configuration (around 90 GPS devices) to the new traccar (with MariaDB)....perhaps could you give me some tips to do that ?

Best Regards