How to pass session cookie via ajax with Traccar API

Victor Butler3 years ago

Hi Anton,

May I ask you for advice on the following please - I can perform a session authentication using username and password and can successfully get a session cookie with a cURL function like this:

public static function login($email,$password){	
    $data='email='.$email.'&password='.$password;	
    return self::curl('/api/session','POST','',$data,array(self::$urlEncoded));
}

After that, I would like to use this session cookie to create a Web Socket connection and get the live device positions. I checked out the simple example here:
https://github.com/traccar/traccar-web/blob/master/web/simple/app.js.

In this code however, the authentication is done with a token and I'd like to use the session cookie that I already have. Is this possible to achieve?

I have in mind something like this (from app.js file):

ajax('GET', url + '/api/server', function(server) {
    //ajax('GET', url + '/api/session?token=' + token, function(user) { //don't use a token 
    ajax('GET', url + '/api/session, " 'Cookie': 'JSESSIONID' ", function(user) {  //but use the session cookie instead

Do you think this would be possible or the only option for WebSocket authentication is with token?

Anton Tananaev3 years ago

If you already have the session, why do you want to call the session API again?

Victor Butler3 years ago

Are you saying that if I already have a session I don't need this line of code at all?

ajax('GET', url + '/api/session?token=' + token, function(user) {

What should I replace it with? If I do this: ajax('GET', url + '/api/session', function(user) {

I get https://example.com/api/session 404 (Not Found)

If you get 404, it means that cookie session is not persisted. You need to figure out why. Probably CORS issue or something like that.

Victor Butler3 years ago

Question, if I do a login request first (for example on index.html) and only then I try to load the map on another page like map.html, is the session going to be kept?
I assume it should persist but still it doesn't (or at least not with the original app.js code.

It is persisted for me.

Victor Butler3 years ago

Ok, I will keep on troubleshooting. Can you confirm, just to be sure the code is correct, if I already have a session and I replace only this line:

ajax('GET', url + '/api/session?token=' + token, function(user) {

with this one in app.js:

ajax('GET', url + '/api/session', function(user) {

the session call should go trough successfully?

FYI, I have already setup <entry key='web.origin'>*</entry> in conf file.

Correct.

Victor Butler3 years ago

Hi Anton,

I found the issue and how to fix it, however I don't have enough expertise with session cookies to explain it properly.

So, in very basic terms, if authentication is done with php/cURL, this session cannot be also used for authentication on the traccar server. Therefore, a separate authentication is required either via token or via username/passwords.

Those are my two cents, I hope this will help the community. If anyone has more experience with session cookies feel free to jump in.