iOS app not logging location updates after iOS version 13.5

Drew Cowan4 years ago

I have been using the Traccar Client iOS app (with great satisfaction) for a long time with the same settings, but it has stopped getting location updates at the desired frequency since I updated my phone to iOS version 13.5. The "Status" shows location updates happening sporadically, usually every 15-20 minutes, or even sometimes not at all.

My settings are:

• Location accuracy: High
  • Frequency: 41
  • Distance: 250
  • Angle: blank

My iOS privacy settings for Traccar Client allow location access Always.

Has anyone else noticed issues since 13.5?

Did Apple change anything that will require the Traccar Client to be updated to restore the proper functionality?

Anton Tananaev4 years ago

Are you sure you have GPS enabled and you have GPS signal? Usually low frequency updates indicate that you get network based location.

Drew Cowan4 years ago

Yes, this happens even when GPS has a good signal. I have even failed to get location updates within the Traccar Client app's status page while I am using Apple Maps for navigation.

I have tried re-starting my phone, force quitting and re-starting the Traccar Client app, and even disabling and re-enabling the "service status" with the client app. None of these seem to help much.

It seems to get location updates if I keep the Traccar Client app active and in the foreground, but once the app is running in the background the location updates are not happening at the desired frequency.

I don't see any crash reports or anything else useful in the Analytics Data section of Settings, but maybe I don't know what name to look under.

Anton Tananaev4 years ago

Yeah, I have a suspicion that Apple did some "optimization" to not let background apps request location with high frequency.

Drew Cowan4 years ago

Yeah, that seems to be the case. I was curious if other users of this app have seen the same thing.

Drew Cowan4 years ago

Apple seems to have fixed the issue in iOS version 13.5.1. The Traccar Client is working fine again.

Fyodor4 years ago

I can confirm it is working fine on 13.5.1, set to 5 seconds, running in background.