Is it possible to disable data buffering?

Ramsey Hazbun6 years ago

I'm interested in using traccar for tracking a vehicle in near real-time. This information will be used to toggle various real-world signals/lights when the vehicle is near-by (this is a whole other problem, but I have ideas). Using the Windows server, and the Android Client I've been able to send position updates every second. I'm really impressed with how well it all works with two cell phones (even with one connected to the other's wifi hotspot).

That being said my application really has no use for old data. If the vehicle is no longer in that position I don't want to trigger any signals. And it seems the best way to deal with this is to stop buffering data. Is there a way to turn off data buffering in the client or on the server? Or is this something that would require a code change? In which case, where should I be looking to change code?

The alternative is I could use API to check age of a position vs the fix time, and ignore anything that's old, but this will lead to a lot of extra computation that may slow things down too much.

Anton Tananaev6 years ago

There is no way to stop buffering, but this gives me an idea about a new filtering option on the server side. It might be useful to add filter for old locations.

Ramsey Hazbun6 years ago

That sounds interesting. I'm assuming this would be an argument on an API call?

It has nothing to do with API. Filtering configuration is in the config file. If you want to see this implemented please submit a feature request on GitHub.

Ramsey Hazbun6 years ago

Feature request submitted.
https://github.com/tananaev/traccar/issues/3800

So how is buffered data handled if it travels through a geofence or if it triggers an event? Presumably if someone was triggering SMS/email when a driver enters a geofence, they'd want it to happen while the driver was in the geofence. And if the driver does not have data service, the admin might not want the buffered data to trigger a late email/SMS.

Buffered data will trigger events.