Location accuracy

Dave5 years ago

What is the exact behaviour for option "Location accuracy": High, Medium and Low ?
Hi guess:
High: only GPS position
Medium: ?
Low: only radio position

Anton Tananaev5 years ago

High - GPS
Medium - cell and wifi
Low - passive

Dave5 years ago

I have a doubt: with the frequency set to 180 and the precision at High, the GPS always seems to be active and not every 180 seconds, is that it ?

It depends. If you are indoors and therefore don't have a GPS signal, phone will keep GPS on.

By the way, all I said so far applies to Android. iOS works a bit differently. It always keeps GPS ON.

Dave5 years ago

Would not it be better for the GPS to activate only according to the set frequency ?
So it would be possible to set it higher to consume less battery.

We don't really control that. Android system does it by itself.

Dave5 years ago

I tried it and the gps icon always remains visible, not just every 180 seconds.

Dave5 years ago

Sorry if you disturb but could you please verify that it really is so ?
According to my tests the GPS remains active always and not only according to the set frequency.
Thank you for support.

It's not always the case.

Dave5 years ago

sorry, but I can't understand...
do you mean it does not do it on all android devices or is it not worth checking?

Dave5 years ago

After several tests I think I understand the problem: the gps remains active continuously if the frequency is set below 300 seconds, setting it to 300 or high, the gps is activated only at those intervals.
Now that I understand this, I will set the frequency to 300 seconds so as to have the GPS not always active and save the battery.

If you want to know more details on how it works, you can read Android documentation:

requestLocationUpdates()

Primtek4 years ago

Hi,
I see "accuracy": 0.0 .. is that mean the position accuracy is not correct or perhaps confidence level of the position is low?

Anton Tananaev4 years ago

Zero means it's a very accurate GPS location. Accuracy is a radius.

Julien3 years ago

An Android device with Android 10, set to precision "High" with the device outdoor show a precision of 6600 but is 15 km west of what is shown on map.
Any idea?