New Custom Attribute

Leo4 years ago

Hi there,

I have read all sorts of forum threads about custom attributes but still it does not work for me.

I can add a Custom Attribute while I am adding a device. But this custom attribute does not show when I open the Computed Attributes screen. I.e. I cannot compute the attribute I just added...

What am I missing?

Thanks a lot.

Anton Tananaev4 years ago

What is a custom attribute?

Leo4 years ago

An attribute I invented and want to calculate based on others, for instance "Tire pressure".

Leo4 years ago

I can create my "custom attribute" and map it to a specific device but then I cannot use it (it does not show) when I am trying to create Computed Attributes

I'm very confused. Where did you create a custom attribute?

Leo4 years ago

In the "Devices" panel, I "edited" the Device, clicked on the "Atributes" button and added a new attribute with a value.

That has absolutely nothing to do with computed attributes. Not sure why you expect to see it somewhere.

Leo4 years ago

Hi Anton, thanks for your time.

I understood what is happening.

There is a bug in the "Computed Attributes" screen. I can give you more details /record it/etc if you want.

I tested in Microsft Edge (the IE that comes with Win10) and Google Chrome v 79.0. Looks like a front-end bug.

Basically, once you start typing the AttributeĀ“s name and the drop down appears with suggestions you cannot choose an Attribute name anymore, you can only select one of the options in the drop down. You have to be really fast - or do a CTRL+V with a name you put on the clipboard - to actually pick whatever name you want for the new Computed Attribute.

Let me know if you want more details and/or if you want me to post it to github as an issue...

The weird routine I posted in my previous msgs was because I thought the above behaviour was expected and I was trying to come up with a brand new "Computed Attribute" that was not in the drop down list.

Thanks again.
Leo.

I'm using Chrome 79. No issues. You don't have to select the name from the dropdown. You can just continue typing your own custom name.

Leo4 years ago

Ok, But I cannot hit Enter or Tab that was what I was doing... I can only hit "Esc" or click in another part of the screen so that it looses focus...

OK... Now I can use it.

Thanks again.