New to the GPS thing and Traccar, just a couple of quetions

startover9096 years ago

Got a client who wants me to help him host his Traccar server. I'm an experienced Linux admin and the server setup part was not an issue, but I've never dealt with the GPS tracker stuff before. Hopefully someone can give me some tips:

1. The client will be ordering the Xirgo XT-2150 series trackers. I see that it is listed as an officially supported model, with "Xirgo" protocol, using port 5081. Does this mean as long as this tracker manages to communicate with the Traccar server over the port 5081, which I'll make sure to open through the firewall, and the device's ID (IMEI) is added to the Traccar database, Traccar should simply understand this device, interpret all reported data, and list them accordingly under the device's attributes? Are there any special configurations that need to be done on Traccar server's side?

2. The manufacturer of the device, Xirgo, provided a "scripting guide" document with all sorts of commands and syntaxes to configure the tracker. My understanding is that of all those parameters, the only ones that are directly relevant to me as the Traccar server admin, is the "backend server" configuration part where I provide the server's IP address/domain name. The manufacturer will then enter them into the tracker's firmware before shipping them out. Once that is done, as long as the GPS device goes online via its SIM card and has internet access, it will start reporting to the Traccar server as described above in #1?

3. The GPS tracker's specific settings, such as all kinds of speed/acceleration thresholds and alerts, should be pre-configured with the help of the manufacturer. My understanding is that these settings cannot be configured from the Traccar sever side. The tracker to Traccar is a one-way communication. To change those GPS settings after the trackers are shipped out, one has to send SMS messages to the trackers using commands provided in the scripting side. Is my understanding correct?

4. The client currently has a couple hundred trackers hosted on an existing Traccar server at another provider, from whom he wants to switch away. For the migration, I would import the database and server settings (traccar.xml, anything else?) from the old server to the new one, then these devices should show up in the new Traccar server. Then those existing trackers out there must have their server settings updated (via SMS?) if the old server is hard coded as IP address. But if a domain name was used as the server address in those trackers, we simply need to update the domain name A record to point to the new server IP, then after DNS propagation the trackers should start communicating to the new server, with a few hours of data sent during the propagation simply lost. Is my understanding correct?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Anton Tananaev6 years ago
  1. Correct. You don't need to configure anything on the server side. Just register device with correct id.
  2. I guess so, but this question can be better answered by device vendor.
  3. Traccar can send commands back to the device, but support varies between different protocols. Worst case you would be able to send custom command.
  4. Your understanding is correct.
startover9096 years ago

Wow Mr. Tananaev that is some super fast response. Regarding #3, do you happen to know if the "Xirgo" protocol and the specific "Xirgo XT-2150" series trackers can do the two-way communication? When I asked the vendor anything related to Traccar, they simply told me to refer to Traccar, hehe!

Thanks so much.

Anton Tananaev6 years ago

Xirgo seems to support "output control" and general custom command (any text-based command you type manually). You don't need to ask them about Traccar. Just ask about device side configuration.