Open link timeout

Dr Panos3 years ago

Hello
I am trying to set up the link between device and server to be always on even when the device is stopped. The settings are one record per hour when the device is stopped. I set up Teltonika device's open link timeout to something higher that this period and also from server side like this:

<entry key='teltonika.timeout'>4000</entry>
<entry key='status.timeout'>4000</entry>

For some strange reason it is working partially. When the device is online it holds the connection for one hour and when it is time to send data it is disconnected for the next hour and again when is time for sending data open again for one hour! I can't figure why it is behaving like this.

Anton Tananaev3 years ago

Is there a reason why this thread is in the server forum? Sounds like a device issue to me.

Dr Panos3 years ago

Well, I think it is server and device together. But if you think it is more suitable for device I can ask there

And what is the server issue exactly?

Dr Panos3 years ago

I am not sure if this issue is related to device or server behavior (closing the connection socket with device)

Well, there's an easy way to check. Disable your timeout and check the behavior.

Dr Panos3 years ago

device or server timout?

Dibbs3 years ago

@Panagiotis - the way Teltonika devices work in terms of sending data (the AVL packet) and how timeout and send periods interact, isn't entirely as the documentation from Teltonika would suggest. The following is what I received from the Support dept:

"Once device generates AVL records it has to establish connection between itself and a server to send a packet. So once connection is established, link is maintained for as long as open link timeout is set, if device generates more records during that time it will send it immediately without re-establishing connection with the server as the link is still open and it will also reset this open link timeout counter. If device does not send a packet during open link time out period, link will close and connection with the server has to be established again."

Hope it helps.

Dr Panos3 years ago

This is normal behavior. In my case the device is maintaining the link up to the time it sends the packet and after this the link closes. It is opening again after the next packet is send

Dibbs3 years ago

You may need to check what firmware version you are on (the device) and possibly need to update it.

Sadly they are not publicly available - you need to contact their support department.

You may want to post up your issue on their (Teltonika) forum - https://community.teltonika-gps.com/ - very helpful people.

Dibbs3 years ago

I just remembered - your SIM\data provider may also be closing the link. This definitely happens - no SIM provider will keep a data link open indefinitely or for very long periods of time. I've seen\experienced SIM\data providers close connections at 60mins.

I would suggest you set the stationary\stopped value to say 10 mins, leave the connection timeout to 1hr and see if the connection closes after the 10mins (when it has sent the AVL packet). My gut feeling is that the connection won't close until 6 packets are sent (i.e. 60 mins open time has been reached).

Best have the device plugged into a laptop and use the Teltonika Configurator (assuming you aren't already) to see the current status of the device\connection.