Past positions buffer

flyjodel9 years ago

Hi, I use the traccar android client, and it works well.

Here is a requested feature maybe to add in the ToDo list :

• buffer the past positions (number to be determined in the config file ?) and send them to the server as soon as the internet connection is available again.

I will use it in a plane, and it is quite frequent that we loose GSM signal.

Thanks !
Michel

Anton Tananaev9 years ago

Buffering is already implemented, but it doesn't work in some cases because current Traccar Client protocol doesn't support acknowledgement.

There is a plan to replace protocol to fix this issue at some point.

jaimzj9 years ago

Anton, I am trying the current version of android client, I faced this problem, Where in it works while there is network connectivity be it wifi or even mobile data. I do see based on other posts, that you have implemented message queuing. however seems not to work like you said in some scenarios.

However the moment, there was loss of data connectivity. Client, status displayed this (sorry for typing it out) couldn't take out screenshot.

Can post server log as well, if needed.

however Based on your response above, Just wondering, when will this be fixed or when you plan to implement the new protocol?

6:06 Location Update (No data on server)
6:11 Location Update (No data on server)
6:16 Location Update (No data on server)
6:16 Update Failed (No data on server)
6:17 Net connected (No data on server)
6:20 Location Update (No data on server)
6:25 Location Update (No data on server)
6:30 Location Update (No data on server)
6:34 Location Update (No data on server)
6:37 : Connectivity Change (No data on server)
6:37 : Connectivity Change (No data on server)
6:39 Location Update (No data on server)
6:39 : Update failed (No data on server)
6:39 : Net Connection succeeded (No data on server)
6:44 Location Update (No data on server)
6:48 (onwards, on WIFI network connectivity established and, data available on server as well now.)
6:53 Location Update
6:58 Location Update
6:02 Location Update
6:07 Location Update

-- Server Side LOG, is quite lengthy haven't posted it here..

I am focusing on the server side and web interface at the moment. Maybe in one or two months I will find time to re-write Traccar Client app.

jaimzj9 years ago

Dear Anton, Reviving old post with some additional inputs (Just in case the feedbacks help for future versions.)

I have configured the mobile client for android with frequence set to (15 mnts).

In the last 24 hours, Only 12 Updates have been uploaded

Similarly I configured for 5 mnts and Same scenario.

(I was travelling most of the day with few hours idle @ certain locations.) During travelling time of course there is disruption of network connectivity (Which I did notice in Traccar status worked well with connectivity change and new connection succeeded msg)

1. What I assume is

a. The message queue/buffer issue. (As discussed earlier in this post).
b. another could be when there is network disruptions, probably the timer is reset to zero everytime the network disconnects/or changes (do correct me if am wrong.)

Are there more than 12 location updates on the status screen?

jaimzj9 years ago

Yes there were more than 12 location updates on the screen, however not sure exactly how many and when all.

As I had closed the application and checked it occasionally only, and when I did check the status panel would clear itself or start new.

If status screen got cleared, it means Android system killed the app. It can explain the problem.

jaimzj9 years ago

The application is supposed to not be killed by Android Right?
Partial wake lock is enabled, and the service status was running always.
So was location being update randomly at certain points/time.

Wake lock has nothing to do with ability of Android to kill the service. Android can kill apps for example if it runs out of memory.

How do you know that the service was running all the time?