Privacy Policy and Data shared with other services

anonimou6 years ago

First of all, thanks for this application!!! Not sure how I was able to live without this with a google-free android phone.

My question is about privacy and metadata that might leak for third services, including Traccar Ltd.

Considering I'm hosting my service on a VPS, what kind of data is shared with Traccar Ltd.? There is an entry on default.xml that points to traccar servers: <entry key='server.statistics'>https://www.traccar.org/analytics/</entry> . What is shared on this analytics? Usage? Location of users (I think not), number of queries??? I know I could dive into the code, but I think this could be stated somewhere on your website (which I didn't find).

Also, there is an address lookup service that gets location of the user and returns its Address. What service is being used? What other kind of data is acquired from third services? What is shared with them?

Also, I saw the donation page. Is it possible to donate using bitcoin? Paypal fees are kind obscene here in my country.
Thanks!!!!

Anton Tananaev6 years ago

Good question. I am always concerned about data privacy myself, so I take it seriously.

By default Traccar uses Google reverse geocoder. It only gets coordinates without any identification, but if you are concerned about it you can either disable geocoder or host your own Nominatim server.

Now about Traccar analytics. It collects only summary numbers (number of active devices, users, messages etc) without any identification. Basically it contains same information as you see in "statistics" report. You can easily disable it by removing line from the config.

Traccar supports other third party services that you can enable, but they are disabled by default. This includes email server, geolocation and SMS service.

As for donation, you can use following Bitcoin address:

1G6LRYJU7TXUE5CkbC7p7YJN674M7p46f2

anonimou6 years ago

Anton,

Thanks for your prompt response!

Glad to see those "tracking" on clear so, at least, I know where my data is going through.

Congratulations for having everything so well documented. Thanks again for this application as a whole (apps and server).

I just sent the donation and I will recommend this for my colleagues.

Thanks

Anton Tananaev6 years ago

Thanks for the donation. I'm a huge Bitcoin supporter by the way :)