Server Performance, memory usage

erickjohnea year ago

Hi chaps

I hope you guys are well, and thanks in advance for reading and assisting,

I'm running a 4.15 traccar server currently with 900 devices, and around 600 online, an average of 400 moving and sending locations on pick time

I've realized that my memory usage keeps increasing and even if I restart the service it does drop a little bit, but at some point it grows again and reaches around 8Gb ram usage again, only for MySQL
Is this normal? I'm wondering when i reach around 3000 users the memory usage will be around 20GB or more

Other point is the disk usage, I have now 250GB space, and it's growing around 1% disk a day, do you guys have a script to delete old positions or logs older than 3 months? is this secure to use?

Many thanks

Anton Tananaeva year ago

Do you mean MySQL RAM usage is growing? That is normal. It has some caching. It should be configurable though if you want set some limits.

As for clearing old data, check this documentation page:

https://www.traccar.org/clear-history/

erickjohnea year ago

Dear Anton,
Thank you for always assisting,

Well noted about the old data clearing,

Regarding the Ram caching, what is the advantage for a big ram caching? and where can i set limits on this?

I'm using a 8Cpu hetzner vps machine with 16GB ram and 250HD using MySQL on same server

using 30 seconds of synching time on devices,

Do you know how many devices I can put on this machine? We are planning to have around 3000 online devices by the end of next year, is it recommended to use another cloud database?

Thank

Anton Tananaeva year ago

Databases usually cache recently and/or frequently used data in RAM for faster access. If you want to learn about MySQL configuration, I would recommend reading their official documentation. You can probably also Google some recommendations. It's not really something specific to Traccar.

Do you know how many devices I can put on this machine? We are planning to have around 3000 online devices by the end of next year, is it recommended to use another cloud database?

Don't know how many devices you can put. It depends on many factors. But speaking of the database type, from our experience, a local MySQL database has the best performance.