Shedule service on/off on Android

Time2Fly2 years ago

Seeing that Traccar can consume a lot of battery, depending on the settings of course, I would like the service to run only at certain times of the day, and especially not at night. Is there a way to call the application with a command parameter, turning on/off the service? That way I could use “Automate” or “Tasker” on Android to run a schedule. A top new feature of course would be to be able to toggle the service of a certain device remotely from the Traccar Manager.
Thank you,
Henning

Anton Tananaev2 years ago

You can definitely use Tasker and other similar apps to control Traccar Client. It provides shortcuts for it.

Time2Fly2 years ago

Where can I find a help topic on these shortcuts?

Time2Fly2 years ago

It would be very useful to be able to toggle or shedule this from the Traccar Manager. It seems to me the tracking service inTraccar consumes over-average battery life (which other users have noticed as well).

You might try to finetune the GPS library which you are using. I'm almost sure there are possible optimizations. Other apps handle this better.

Time2Fly2 years ago

You can find shortcuts here:
https://github.com/traccar/traccar-client-android/blob/master/app/src/main/res/xml/shortcuts.xml

Unfortunately I have no idea how to convert this to an Automate flow. I am not an Android developer. Can anyone assist me to create a flow for starting and stopping the Traccar client service?

Again, it would really make sense to be able to do this remotely from the Traccar manager. I am just trying to solve the immense battery drainage.

AntonK2 years ago

Depending on your smartphone setup, it may be easier to disable/enable GPS based on schedule (on some phones it won't work without root access).
I guess, Traccar client won't drain the battery if GPS isn't enabled (and probably it is GPS who blame for extreme power consumption).

Time2Fly2 years ago

No, it is not fully related to an Android/GPS problem. No other tracking app (and I have tested a few) comes even close to this consumption. The Android "Find my phone" feature can run for days. You need to recheck the code where (and how often) Traccar requests GPS coordinates. Search the internet - many are reporting the same problem with traccar.

It all depends on the type of location you're using. GPS will drain the battery very quickly. Other apps are likely using network-based location.

Time2Fly2 years ago

"Find my phone" gives me highest accuracy. Even a hiking tracking app with high accuracy runs double the time time that traccar runs. Maybe you could just acknowledge that something is different with traccar. I have stopped using it beause of this.

I'm sure there is something different if you get different results.