SOS function

Sanjesh3 years ago

I am trying to get the SOS function on my phone. I created the shortcut and it is in my phone's home screen. When I tap it, it opens Traccar client. Is there a minimum Android version required to create SOS function. Mine is an old phone running Android version 6.0.1. Thank you.

Anton Tananaev3 years ago

Maybe it's not able to get a location fix?

Sanjesh3 years ago

Thanks Anton for replying.

Traccar client is sending the location data and I can see the data on my server. I am not sure what I am doing is right. I did a long touch and hold to Traccar client and lift my finger. The phone automatically placed Traccar client app icon in my home screen. I touch it in my home screen and it is opening Traccar client.

Can you provide screen recording? It doesn't sound like you are creating an SOS shortcut. Seems like you are just creating regular app shortcut.

Sanjesh3 years ago

Yeah looks like that. I don't know how else to create. I sent the screen recording to support email with subject - SOS function screen recording. Thank you.

Watched the video. Yeah, that's not how you create an SOS shortcut. You just created a normal app shortcut.

Read Android documentation for your specific Android version. On mine (latest vanilla version on a Pixel phone) you just long press on the icon and it shows options, including "Send SOS", which you can drag to create a shortcut. It looks something like this:

https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/ui/shortcuts

Sanjesh3 years ago

Ok, I will look around in Android documentation. Thanks Anton.

Sanjesh3 years ago

Finally I was able to find out how to do it on my phone. I will document it here so it might helps others who might have phones with similar features as mine (mine is Samsung Duos).

Go to home screen. Locate an empty space and touch and do a long press. The home screen will shrink and it shows four icons (in my case) at the bottom of the screen - Wallpapers, Widgets, Home screen settings and Themes. (be careful when you locate an empty, you might think it is an empty space but could be a part of a widget, happened to me).

Touch Widgets icon. It will open another screen and you will see all the apps having shortcuts. Swipe left/right to locate Traccar client app. You will see Add Shorcuts 1x1 text at the top of the icon. Touch and long press Traccar client app.

A new screen opens up and shows three items: Start service, Stop service and Send SOS. Tap Send SOS and it creates shortcut to it on the home screen.

It's a great feature. Thanks.