Traccar 5.2 and KML files as POI layer

Klaas Strikwerda2 years ago

Hi,
Installed traccar 5.2 on a test Windows server 2019 server.
I noticed a difference in how Traccar displays a KML file in Modern and legacy interface.
In modern interface only dots are showing (i think the coordinates as they are in the KML file).
Where lines are displayed in Legacy Interface.
Since we heavily depend on those lines showing (routes bicycle races) Modern interface is unusable for us.
Anyone stumbled on this?
Any suggestions?

Images are made from same server, only switched from Modern to Legacy interface.

TraccarLegacy

TraccarModern

Anton Tananaev2 years ago

Please file a bug report and include a KML example.

Hello Klaas Strikwerda, where did you get the waypoints and the routes in your file? Is it generated by traccar or you use 3rd party application? Sorry if out of topic.

Hi Marko Lapulapu,
There are more ways to do it, i only can explain the way i do it.
My source is Basecamp from Garmin to create a track of a route and when applicable for the event - Waypoints.
But also Google maps can be a source, then the waypoints are called placemarks.
You also can find a lot online routing applications on the internet
Export form Basecamp is a GPX file, export from Google maps is a KML file.
Trick is to get a KML file in a format which is usable in Traccar.
For that is use https://gpx2kml.com/
If you have an export from Google maps or any other routing app which exports as a KML file, first convert the KML file to a GPX file in gpx2kml and then convert it back to a KML file.
What i learned is the gives the best result for a proper KML file.
A GPX file (from Basecamp) you can convert directly to KML file.
In Traccar in the POI Layer field of a user fill in where traccar can find you KML file.
This can be on the local server if you run your own server or a (public) link somewhere on the internet.
Links for Icons of a placemark you can find here:
http://kml4earth.appspot.com/icons.html

You have to add a Style id for a placemark manually to the KML file and referance to it at the actual placemark.

It takes some studying and trying :)

Hello Klaas Strikwerda,
I'm quite confuse on how KML file works on traccar, I will first study it. I manually doing this job by exporting report (CSV File) and then Import it to google earth to produce KML File but Sir Anton says that traccar has API for KML Exporting which is currently I am studying. I can't find documentation for that.

marko.lapulapu.919, this topic is about using KML as a POI layer in Traccar. It's not about exporting KML from Traccar.

Klaas Strikwerda can you provide samples of the KML files that didn't work? Maybe we can improve support.

Anton Tananaev I searched quit some time to find an example but did not find any, and i also cannot remember where i got them from.
Bottom line was that the track coordinates were not combined in a Linestring but somehow all track points were individual items.
Also there are applications (online as local installed) which do an KML export in one (very long) line. Of course it works but it is hard to edit them.
GPX2KML makes a nice formatted KML file which i very easily can edit with for example Notepad++
Both examples are not a specific Traccar problem.

I do have need of more feature support in KML file, such as Screen overlays as i mentioned earlier https://www.traccar.org/forums/topic/screen-overlay/ and Balloontype functionallity.
But that is more a feature request i think.

track coordinates were not combined in a Linestring but somehow all track points were individual items

That was a bug that's already fixed.

David Gilmana year ago

Is there any way to get rid of the dots and just show a continuous line?