Traccar Client 3.7 on Android 5.0.1 (Galaxy S4) No Position Updates

Triple Jim8 years ago

My server is running traccar-linux-32-3.2 I'm using it to follow the location of three Android phones. All three were working when all three were running traccar client 3.5. One was updated to 3.7 and I can't get it to work now. All client parameters are the same as before. The server log shows:

2015-12-20 17:48:24 DEBUG: AsyncSession: 29798777 destroyed: false requestTimeout
2015-12-20 17:48:24 DEBUG: AsyncSession: 29798777 destroyed: false response context: 26472747
2015-12-20 17:48:24 DEBUG: AsyncSession: 29798777 destroyed: false request context: 16013408

repeated for each client transmission. Any help is appreciated.

-Jim

Triple Jim8 years ago

Update: I didn't realize it, but one of the other Android phones was updated to client version 3.7. It is successfully sending position reports which get updated on the server. Line by line, everything is configured the same on both phones, except the identifier.

The newest phone got 3.7 installed fresh and it has a short identifier, entered correctly on the server. We also tried using the phone's long identifier, but it made no difference.

The phone with 3.7 that's working correctly also causes "false request" lines in the log files.

Anton Tananaev8 years ago

Please ignore any AsyncSession messages in the log. It's not relevant to the problem.

Try to clear app data and see if it works after that.

Triple Jim8 years ago

Thank you for the reply.

We un-installed the client app and reinstalled it this evening, so I assume that cleared everything.

The phone running 3.5 shows "Location update" in the status list periodically. The problem phone running 3.7 does not, although it does show "connectivity change" whenever we stop and start the service. 3.5 does not show this.

I configured a working phone and the problem phone to use your demo server, and the problem is the same. I did this to rule out a problem on my server.

Can you please retrieve logs from the device for further investigation.

Triple Jim8 years ago

Sorry for being ignorant, but where are the device logs? We're searching for any files in the phone with "traccar" in them, but no luck there.

It's a bit more complicated. The only way I know to access Android logs (on non-rooted devices) is to install developer tools.

Triple Jim8 years ago

If I have an ssh server running on the phone, and can browse the file system, where are the log files in question?

Triple Jim8 years ago

Now, during all this troubleshooting, the "bad" phone started transmitting. Its status display now shows "location update" at the chosen intervals, and my server is showing position properly. I have no idea why it "fixed itself".

Maybe you just didn't have GPS fix earlier?

Triple Jim8 years ago

We thought of that, but verified that Google Maps was showing the phone location in real time.

In any case, I appreciate your interest and helpful replies. I wish I could supply some meaningful feedback about this, but unless it quits working, I'm afraid I won't be of much help. It does look like it was some sort of odd problem with Android that prevented it from transmitting.

If I'm using Traccar and simultaneously use the phone to view my remote video camera at the same IP address over the Internet, Traccar stops transmitting. This made me wonder if some other application had captured the phone's attention, but I need to investigate more to see if this might be the problem.