Traccar client not working.

ddywz3 years ago

Hello, here is my situation:
Traccar server installed on Ubuntu server and running fine. Installed Traccar client version 6.7 on android v6 mobile device and worked great. I keep the /opt/traccar/logs/tracker-server.log file open with tail -f and when I turn ON service on android phone, status on server switches to online and location is posted correct. I also do see the HEX:.... on log file. Client and server is on same LAN no firewall issues or external connectivity.

Go to add device 2 which is another android mobile phone but android v11. Same client 6.7 installs fine. After configuring same http://servername:5055 and identifier that matches the device on server and giving permission to use location on phone, I go and turn ON service on client keeping an eye on open log file on server to see for HEX: entry, but there is nothing posted on server log and device status remains offline on server. This android v11 is on same LAN as android v6 that works fine.

Is there an issue with android v11 and Traccar client app?

Thanks,

Thanks,

Anton Tananaev3 years ago

Have you followed Traccar Client troubleshooting guide?

ddywz3 years ago

Hi Anton, yes, I visited troubleshooting guide and there is where I learned about the log file and the HEX entries to see if the connection is made or not. In my case there is no entry at all in the log file when I start the service on android v11. All setup is identical with android v6 which works fine and they both use same server internally. There is no firewalls or ports blocked between server and these two devices.

After doing some more tests I found out that the new android v11 started to work only when switching accuracy to high, so using the GPS direct and not via the network. ok, so it looks like I have to dig more on the phone settings if I wanted to use average accuracy via network or towers.

Thanks,

Are you sure you looked at BOTH troubleshooting guides? I was talking specifically about this one:

https://www.traccar.org/client-troubleshooting/

ddywz3 years ago

Yes, that what I read. So in my case is point 4. In particular last bullet where it says:

On Android check that network location provider is enabled in system settings.

ddywz3 years ago

I actually did check and I have those settings turned OFF which explains why it is working only with "Accuracy set to high"

My settings on phone for location are:
Emergency Location Service = off
Google Location Accuracy = off

I will leave it on high for now and see how it goes. This is a test I'm doing anyway and comparing with other trackers.

Thanks,

Dominik3 years ago

I'm also on Android 11 (Google Pixel 5), but in my case the problem seems to be, that the app is only allowed to access position data while in the foreground. I think it never asked for permission to access the data while running in the background and I haven't found an option to give that permission manually.

The app only works in the foreground.