Traccar Client stops reporting after idle period of time?

spederson8 years ago

I'm experiencing a troublesome problem where the Client seems to stop reporting after being idle for a short period of time, and even if you are in a building, then go back outside, get in your car and begin driving, the client fails to begin reporting again. The only way to get it to RESTART reporting to the server is to Stop-and-RESTART the client manually. I've experienced this with both the Android client, as well as the iPhone client.

Client version is 3.8 - Server is running on the Internet on an Ubuntu Linux server built approx. 2 weeks ago. Both clients are talking to the server on port 5055.

Anton Tananaev8 years ago

What's on the status screens in the apps?

spederson8 years ago

The "Service Status" says the "Service running".

However, does it make a difference whether the actual Traccar client is active or not?
Thus far I have stopped the client (stuck it in my shirt pocket) and drove around to test.

Other test:
Stop and restart service while phone is sitting on my desk at the office. It will report and show up on the website. An hour later, although I have not moved the phone (still sitting on my desk plugged into the charger) the website shows the client has not reported back in a while.
If I check the phone, the service is running.

There is a status screen in the app which displays some helpful information about what's happening.

spederson8 years ago

Sweet! I found the status screen - let me continue to monitor it for the next 24-48 hours, keep experimenting. I'll keep you posted on what I see either way. Tnx!

spederson8 years ago

Good day!
Here's what I have experienced thus far.
For the devices that have been offline for a period of time, I would access the TRACCAR client, the indicator shows that the "Service is running". When I choose the link (top right) for the "Status", the screen displays the following:
9:18AM - Service created
9:18AM - Connectivity change
9:18AM - Location Update

At this time, this device now shows on the server map.
For one device, it had been offline for a couple of days, then once I did this it re-appeared.
For another device, it was offline for 30 minutes, same behavior. (during my drive to work).
Hope this helps!

What phones are you using? Models, OS versions?

spederson8 years ago

Most-tested (mine)
Samsung Galaxy Note-3 (SM-N900P)
Android 5.0
Kernel 3.4.0-4453878 11/5/15
Hardware version N900P.12

It looks like the app gets killed by the system. I guess you need to obtain device logs to see why it's happening.

spederson8 years ago

OK. If you can help me with the location of the device logs, I'll see what I can dig up.
S

If you device is not rooted, the only way to get logs is through ABD (Android developer tools).

spederson8 years ago

Well, the phone is not rooted.
Unless there is a process through which it self-checks, stops-and-restarts, or somehow verifies the app is running and functioning correctly, then there seems to be a missing component.

The Traccar APP, while running, shows the status of the Traccar SERVICE.
The Traccar SERVICE, while running, should check the status of the Traccar App.
Somewhere in the background, possibly a countdown timer that self-checks to verify connectivity to port 5055 of the server through the existing network connection. If connectivity has been lost, Cycle the Service.

I'm sure this is not the only Mobile app that gets kicked by Apple or Android, so there must be a process to improve the reliability of the service, and help ensure the application is active.
Scott

Well, I need logs to understand why it's happening on your device(s).

kiryat88 years ago

I also have a problem with my son's Android L3 phone.
He lets the battery go down and I think it turns off location and then network then dies.
When he recharges the phone, Traccar shows its running but no more messages are sent to my server.
I have it set not to have to use the GPS.
Does the location setting prevent using cellular network fix?
If so could an user dialog be added?
I could add this if you write the general area.

I have a Nexus4 rooted which I use dual boot with Ubuntu phone which I may use to see what is happening.

Also, I understand where Ubuntu phone still does not have GPS assist.
Is that what is called your mixed network fix?
What would it take to make an Ubuntu phone version?

Thanks

Location setting affects network location provider as well.

If Traccar Client doesn't send any data, it probably means that it's got killed by Android.