Traccar feature - Odometer

jaimzj8 years ago

Dear Anton,

I believe its a good idea, to have an inbuilt odometer/distance logging option that can be enabled or disabled in the traccar server.

Reason.

1. All devices have different approach towards this, some has support for it some dont.

Use Case : It is one of the core functions and need of any tracking application platform.
a. This will allow users to have odometer function on near real time basis, instead of having to write their own scripts to do this task at set interval.

Anton Tananaev8 years ago

There is already an option in Traccar to calculate distance.

jaimzj8 years ago

Oh Yes Anton, I forgot about the previous post regarding the same.

Is it possible, to make a slight change on this feature, that the moment it is enabled, it calculates all the old records and add's new data over old.

Unfortunately it's not possible without significant modifications. You can try to write an SQL query that would go through all the records and calculate total distance.

jaimzj8 years ago

Dear Anton,

the distance value in attributes is in what format, meter, foot,? km?

In the database it's in meters.

jaimzj8 years ago

I think, right now if am not wrong the function in server is such that previous entry no matter what to the new entry the distance is calculated right?

I have a suggestion to make, calculate distance only between position logs which has speed above 0.

In my case there are two reason's.

1. GPS devices sending fixes while stationary.
  2. I add a initial entry into database, at a set location when a device is added thus from that point to new point distance gets calculated. and the distance sometimes can run into 1000's of km

Speed reported by GPS is not a reliable enough to detect whether object is moving or not.

solvx8 years ago

Hi Anton

From what i understood, the odometer features adds the values in meters to the last record odometer value.
Record #1 - Odometer 1200 meters
Record #2 - Odometer 1204 meters
Record #3 - Odometer 1207 meters

Is is possible instead of having a SUM, inserts the odometer value, like:
Record #1 - Odometer 12 meters
Record #2 - Odometer 18 meters
Record #3 - Odometer 7 meters

(I am currently testing it in Teltonika protocol)

Thanks

Odometer value is reported by your device.

solvx8 years ago

Thank you Anton.

erickjohne4 months ago

Good morning Anton/Comunity

We are the need to learn a bit more about odometer and maintenance notifications as one of our big costumer wants to start to use it ,
We've done some tests but it seems didn't work well, I'd appreciate if you could assist us

1 - When we set the odometer, after some point the value is converted to metters, is there a way to convert it into miles automatically?
2 - Similar things happens for maintenance notification, when we set 1000 on the Cycle for example and save it, when we reopen it says 1000000
and the notification happens when the vehicle walks 600 metters ,

Would appreciate if someone could help us on how to use it properly