Upgrade from 3.16 to latest version - safe for database?

amo5 years ago

I switched my server to new and more powerful hardware. On my old one, I had to install traccar manually, which was fine, but I skipped doing updates on version 3.16. I am now setting up my new server and traccar is available as a package for easy updating with system updates. My question is now:
Is it safe for the database (mariadb) if I just install the latest traccar server and give it the database from the 3.16 version? Or is corruption expected in that case?

Another quick question: How do I need to adapt my traccar.xml config for traccar to connect to mariadb with a unix socket? My current config is:

<entry key='database.driver'>com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</entry>
    <entry key='database.url'>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/traccar?useSSL=false&amp;allowMultiQueries=true&amp;autoReconnect=true&amp;useUnicode=yes&amp;characterEncoding=UTF-8&amp;sessionVariables=sql_mode=''</entry>
    <entry key='database.user'>XXXXXX</entry>
    <entry key='database.password'>XXXXXX</entry>

Thank you a lot in advance for any advice!

Anton Tananaev5 years ago

It should be fine, but make sure you backup it first just in case.

amo5 years ago

Thank you, it indeed worked like a charm!

For who might wonder about the socket issue and maybe arrived here: It looks like the java mysql connector does not support unix sockets at all. Therefore, we have to bind-address=127.0.0.1 in my.cnf