Upgrading to 3.0 from 2.12 (Advice needed)

jaimzj9 years ago

Dear Anton Tananaev,

I am currently running 2.12 Version of Traccar on my Live server. (VPS - Ubuntu Server)

I am thinking of giving 3.0 a try, However below are my concerns, based on the release note for 3.0.

Would appreciate your input.

1. You have mentioned database structure change. So is there a detail of what all has been changed? Or will I first need to Try 3.0 on probably another server/instance etc and then review it?
  • Like you mentioned can obviously create a new database, and copy old to new, I plan to do that.

Or would you have any particular advice for Upgrading on live Instances.

-James

Anton Tananaev9 years ago

What database engine are you using with Traccar?

jaimzj9 years ago

Sorry missed that out, its MySQL

Also on the other hand, on the 2.12 versions DB structure itself, my web application is developed, as well.

If you are using your custom web interface, there should be minimal changes for you.

If you are using default web interface and want to migrate data from 2.x to 3.0, there is a big problem of hashing passwords. New version of Traccar hashes passwords while the old one stored them in plain text.

So, migrating all data except users should be fairly simple. But for users I can't think of any easy solution.

jaimzj9 years ago

Here is what I had done,

On 2.x I am using text based password for Traccar's default accout. and as am not using the default interface (On my custom web app) I used hashed password.

I might give it a try over this new weekend, I will setup a fresh 3.0 elsewhere, and migrate my web app first, and then the database. and See If i have any changes to carry out on web front.

Let me know if you have any questions or problems.