Why aren't "network" items accessible like "attributes" ?

Leonce4 years ago

Hi, until I realized these were not "attributes", I have struggled a long time trying to use items such as "cellId", "wifiAccessPoints", "macAddress" in the computed attributes feature. Finally, I discovered the attributes were stored in the so-called field of the TC_POSITIONS table... but not the network items which are stored in a separate field.

So my question is : why aren't "network" items useable in traccar as if they were attributes ? After all they are accessible through the API, so why not internally ?
If I want to get a notification when my trackers report some Wifi AP (EXTREMELY useful for indoor uses), currently the only solution is to rely on an external service which will gather the information from the API :( . It could be so cool and easy to get these alarms directly from traccar notification system!

Is my request difficult to implement ? I'd bet I am not the only one really hoping fur such an evolution.
Anton, please don't tell me I can submit a code update by myself, I have no Java development skills at all :(

Anton Tananaev4 years ago

What do you mean by accessible internally?

Leonce4 years ago

I mean accessible within traccar GUI like an attribute. In other words, give the ability to handle these network values on "computed attributes".

An example : if macAddress is xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx and its signalStrength is > 80%, then consider the tracker is in room 1 (where AP is installed) =>. Set attribute "dog is in the house" to True. My GPS' manufacturer call that "wififence".

Other example : if cellId = 1234 and its signalStrength is > 90%, then consider the tracker is in the house (if I have a femtocell with ID 1234 at home or if I live near tower with ID 1234).

This helps addressing many indoor situations where the GPS signal cannot be received.

Anton Tananaev4 years ago

I think eventually we will make that information accessible from the UI.

Leonce4 years ago

That's great news! Any idea when it could be implemented?
I can see so many applications it could allow thanks to the computed attributes! Really can't wait!

Leonce3 years ago

Hi Anton, any news about my request ? Do you know when these datas could be added ?

Thanks!

Anton Tananaev3 years ago

No.