Frequency / Distance / Angle

Aidan Cox6 years ago

Hi,

This might be a really obvious set of questions, and i have tried to find the true meaning from the help articles but unable to find them?
Any way,

What do these settings mean

• Frequency - 15
  • Distance - 0
  • Angle - 0

And in what way do the numbers affect what it does?

Regards

Aidan Cox6 years ago

I should add - It's more the Distance & Angle i'm interested in knowing about.
Regards

Edit:

Found this;
https://www.traccar.org/blog/traccar-client-4-2/

But to me - It doesen't really tell me what Distance it's mesuring or the Angle?
Feel like i'm being really stupid right now...lol

Anton Tananaev6 years ago

Frequency - frequency of reporting location in seconds
Distance - distance (in meters) after which device reports location
Angle - direction change (in degrees) after which device reports location

Aidan Cox6 years ago

Thanks for the prompt reply again Anton,

I'm still not fully understanding.
Am i right in saying that the Distance / Angle reports are logged internally, and then the frequency is how often that reported data is uploaded?

No, nothing is logged internally. Logic is

• if time from last report > frequency
  • or if distance from last report > distance
  • or if angle difference from last report > angle

then report current location to the server.

Aidan Cox6 years ago

I think i get it now,

So, you can;

• Have the client report based on a timer (frequency) IE, 5 seconds...It will continuously do this
  • Have the client report back on the distance traveled, IE - Set to 100M, every 100M down the road it'll report back? Thus no distance traveled, no report to the server?

Would i be right in saying the use of using a "distance" traveled instead of "frequency" would possibly mean less data use, IE when parked over night?

Regards

Yes, that's correct. If you select distance you might also want to put frequency to some high number, say one hour, just to get periodic updates even when device is not moving and make sure it's not dead.

Aidan Cox6 years ago

Fantastic thank you.

I was going to ask about that, although having my app report back every 5 seconds so far as has only used about 28mb of data, my ISP provide a sim with 250mb data month for free, happy days :)

Could you give an example of when angle would be of some use? I'll be using mine as a Motorcycle tracker, so i'm a little naive in terms of uses for other applications.

Regards

Angle is useful to get better track quality on the map. Every time you turn on an intersection you will get a new point, so route line from historical report will follow the road instead of cutting corners.

Aidan Cox6 years ago

I guess setting distance would fix another problem i have then. I have noticed when in buildings, mainly at work or home for long durations with the interval set to 5 seconds, when i check the report it's really scatty, i guess where the GPS has got wrong locations due to bad singial...

alt text

At the moment also the line on the map does not follow the road, sometimes it looks like i cut corners off quite a lot.

alt text

From what you have said, and i understand i would be better having the Frequency higher, and then have it report back on the Distance/Angle.
Could you give any recomendations for speeds 70mph + -?

Can i only use one or the other?
Regards

You can use either parameters or any combination. I can't give any recommended values. You would have to test and see what works better in your case.

Aidan Cox6 years ago

Great - That's good to know.
I might start another thread, unless you can answer them here?

After a little be of googling i have just downloaded a program called dBVisualizer, it seems to offer suppoer for H2 databases.
I'm interested to know the most friendly way of clearing currently stored data in the database so i can purge this poor data i have

Regards

You should be able to use any JDBC-based database tools.

Aidan Cox6 years ago

Thanks - Sure, having no experence with this particular database type i'm not familiar with any editors. First one i come accross.
Is there no built in tool from the web based login?

Also looking at the config files, am i right in saying by default there is no database password? for the login SA

There is a built-in tool. You can put following line in the config

<entry key='web.console'>true</entry>

And then open /console path in browser.

There is no password by default.