IP questions

GaryLog2 years ago

best regards,

I have a hypothetical question, let's assume that I have 1000 devices pointing to the ip 1.1.1.1 (which would be my online server) but it crashes, deletes, or whatever could happen, and its not working anymore, so I must change to
a new one called 2.2.2.2, obviously I must change the programming of the gps devices, but that would be a problem and that many are not online at the moment or some are not easily reprogrammed by sms that's why I ask :

1-is there a way to redirect their data to another ip? (of course before this happen)

2- is there a way to own an ip?

3-there is some type of gateway online (I'm thinking on flespi ) to have 2 IP servers in addition to those on the devices

(I know that some devices can use domain instead of IP but not all, that's why I don't see that as viable option)

Anton Tananaev2 years ago
  1. There are ways to do that. On Linux you can probably configure it using iptables.
  2. That's probably a question to your provider.
  3. Not sure I understand this part.
GaryLog2 years ago

thanks, but if I'm not mistaken iptables filters on my server, the idea would be to put something between the server and the devices that would redirect them, that is to say that if my provider goes bankrupt or is eliminated I could make the change without reprogramming the equipment, ahem, the devices points to 5.5.5.5.5 and something in that ip copies the data to server 1.1.1.1, that is to say that if server 1.1.1.1 already does not exist, one day I can tell 5.5.5.5.5 to send it now to 2.2 .2.2 without reprogramming the devices, or is it that with iptables I can forward what arrives to another ip?

Anton Tananaev2 years ago
GaryLog2 years ago

ok, i was completely lost. Thank you very much for your collaboration

x6883992 years ago

The best way to solve the problem is with DNS.
Point your gps devices to traccar.yourdomain.com.
If something breaks, just change the dns record to point to 2.2.2.2 instead of 1.1.1.1
If you have a small TTL (Time to live), this can be done in minutes

Tony Shelver2 years ago

Problem is that some (older, cheaper???) devices can't use domains (as per the original poster's comment, and our experience as well).

Not 100% sure about this, but the odds are that if the original IP address is lost due to the ISP going out of business or whatever, it could eventually get reassigned to someone else. But haven't really heard of this happening with a reputable ISP.

GaryLog2 years ago

Yes. Old tk103 do not accept domain.and in some countries like mine (venezuela) ips are dinamic. Just reboot the router and is a new ip. I have to use vps always. The question is because (iknow its a very litlle ammount but i want to be prepared) i have a vps in digital ocean. They increase prices this month. But what if they go banckrupt or they increase to 99999$ (ejem) and i cant afford it. That was my hipotetical scenario,

x6883992 years ago

I price goes to 99999$ for the hosting, I would purchase a new device for 50$ that supports DNS ;)