New to GPS tracking and first time user of your server software. Just to say thanks.

Adrian Hodgson5 years ago

I am not a company, neither am I using this for financial gain, just tracking my own gear.
It was so cheap to buy a GPS device from Ebay I thought why not, £10.99 got me a GT02A device.

A PAYG SIM and my own phone got the device providing URL responses from Google maps, but that is not always the best way to go when you want to know where you car was taken and is now out of GSM coverage.

So I looked on the Internet for solutions and there are a few free systems out there for personnel use only. On my search I came across traccar.org and the possibility of free to download open source server software.

Well it took me a bit of time, like a few hours to get an old HP thin client running Linux up to date with software patches, I downloaded the 'other' server download version 4.2 as the old thin client is only 32 bit.

Copied the software as said into a folder in my home directory and ran that Java command to make it work. Add a few firewall states and punch a few port holes through the router and have a go at reprogramming the GPS unit.
It took a while of internet searching as from the forums I had suggestions of several ports to use, but in the end my GT02A worked with port 5002.
It appears to be the same as the tk103 unit?

I am pleased it works initially, not yet installed the tracker in my car to see how it performs when driving and as I am probably have a max requirement of 3 units I think the thin client would manage the small amount of data through put.

What I can not see is any means to donate to traccar, you say that a part of your paid service goes towards funding the open source work, is there a donate button anywhere?
Last question I see there is an entry for statistics that goes back to traccar as in :
<entry key="server.statistics"">https://www.traccar.org/analytics/</entry>

That line is not mentioned in the config page I have downloaded, but I am still going through a lot of docs to see what I can do with this version and if anyone has help or hints I would appreciate it. Can I turn this off and how?

Thanks
Adrian

Anton Tananaev5 years ago

Here's a link for donations:

https://www.traccar.org/donate/

Statistics includes same data that you see in the statistics admin menu in the web app. It's fully anonymous, but if you want you can just remove that line from the config.

OK thank you for the quick response and I will continue to play, I am glad i am playing on my own pc and not some public server on the Internet, I am sure I could screw it when not meaning to.

I have a few quick question whilst I remember, user management says there is a super user, but I can not see how to become that type or user, is this disabled in this or is it something I have not yet found? I would like to tie the system down so that if anyone else found it they could not register on to the unit, lastly is anywhere to download the different pages as one pdf so I can read it all off line?

Off to donate, it will not be a lot but something.

Adrian

There is admin user which is the super user. That's the default login. If you want to create a new admin user, you can just tick the corresponding checkbox.

You can disable user registration. There is a checkbox for that in server settings.

There is not PDF documentation, if that's what you are looking for.

Thanks for donation.

Thanks for the help and for writing the software. I had just found the login as admin and admin, now changed the password to something else to stop that being used, and switched off registration.

Again thanks.

Adrian

As I said I would I have broken it, not intentionally.
But I get the following message in the logs:-

2018-11-29 00:47:30  INFO: Clearing database change log checksums
2018-11-29 00:47:45  INFO: SELECT COUNT(*) FROM PUBLIC.DATABASECHANGELOGLOCK
2018-11-29 00:47:45  INFO: SELECT COUNT(*) FROM PUBLIC.DATABASECHANGELOGLOCK
2018-11-29 00:47:45  INFO: SELECT LOCKED FROM PUBLIC.DATABASECHANGELOGLOCK WHERE ID=1
2018-11-29 00:47:46  INFO: Waiting for changelog lock....
2018-11-29 00:47:56  INFO: SELECT LOCKED FROM PUBLIC.DATABASECHANGELOGLOCK WHERE ID=1
2018-11-29 00:47:56  INFO: Waiting for changelog lock....

I think this could be down to how I shut down and start the program?

As mentioned I am running the "Other (manual installation required)" set up as I am running 32 bit and the way I start the server is by running a command in console such as:

java -jar tracker-server.jar conf/traccar.xml

If I then shut console down it just seems to stop the service, so how should I shut it down before I restart the computer?

How do I clear the lock?

Sorry for the questions as I am learning as I go.

Adrian

Looks like you got your database locked. If you don't care about the data, you can just remove database file and start over. If you need your data, you would need to manually unlock it. Use search. It has been discussed before.

I can happily delete and start again, but is it the way I am shutting down is there a better way?
Also searching for the answers as suggested.

Thanks

Better way is to run Traccar as a service and not shut it down.

I could not find a 32 bit installer so installed it all manually, which was basically unzip the manual file and copy the lot into a home folder named traccar.

The instructions then just say run java -jar tracker-server.jar conf/traccar.xml

I will play and try to figure running as a service.

:)

Adrian

You can check what Linux installer actually does:

https://github.com/traccar/traccar/blob/master/setup/setup.sh

OK I have spent a while trying to get this to run as a service and I believe that I have an issue with the old distro I am using as I have seen other bug reports for the same style error messages.

Looking in the system log files I see the following messages:-

Nov 29 11:24:51 home_tracker_server systemd[1]: Cannot add dependency job for unit localfs.service, ignoring: Unit localfs.service failed to load: No such file or directory.
Nov 29 11:24:51 home_tracker_server systemd[1]: Expecting device dev-disk-by\x2duuid-127c47d5\x2d9376\x2d4853\x2dab1e\x2d3ef523e52a57.device...
Nov 29 11:24:51 home_tracker_server systemd[1]: Starting traccar...
Nov 29 11:24:51 home_tracker_server systemd[1]: Started traccar.
Nov 29 11:24:51 home_tracker_server systemd[1842]: Failed at step EXEC spawning /opt/traccar/java: No such file or directory
Nov 29 11:24:51 home_tracker_server systemd[1]: traccar.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=203/EXEC
Nov 29 11:24:51 home_tracker_server systemd[1]: Unit traccar.service entered failed state.

In opensuse13.2 there is no localfs.service

If as SU I go to /opt/traccar and run java -jar tracker-server.jar conf/traccar.xml
I either look for another 32 bit distro for the old Thin client or run on a 64 bit machine.

It keeps me playing.

Adrian

Looks like you don't have Java installed.

?

But it runs traccar manually.The system reports it has:
java-1_7_0-openjdk
java-1_7_0-openjdk-headless
java-1_7_0-openjdk-plugin
java-1_8_0-openjdk
java-1_8_0-openjdk-headless
java-1_8_0-openjdk-plugin
javapackages-tools
libjavascriptcoregtk-3_0_0
libjsonjs-17_0
and a few others smaller things to do with timezones and webkit

I appreciate they may be a bit old, but the distro does not go higher.

Now I am not a programmer and I do struggle with things, as in it takes a while to get there. let me know if I am missing something.

But how could it run without Java being installed or does it need a certain version?

Cheers

Adrian

Adrian

Service doesn't have same environment as shell user, so path to Java might be missing. Usually you need to specify full path.