Pet Tracking Own App

Alexa month ago

I am looking to develop a Pet GPS Tracking business similar to Tractive.com. Where I sell the device and also provide my own App for my customers to use.

Does anyone have any idea for the best execution plan for this or any insights into the business model?

Would I be able to use Traccar to develop my App?
How would be the best way to develop or manufacture cost efficient devices?
Should I start with devices from AliBaba?

Any feedback or ideas would greatly help me.

Anton Tananaeva month ago

You can definitely use Traccar as the base for your app. All our software is open source.

As for the the device, it probably makes sense to use some existing one. There are a lot of options for white label devices.

Alexa month ago

You have to ask the seller to see if it's compatible with Traccar and if it's even possible to configure your own server.

Alexa month ago

Thanks man, really appreaciate the help and your work!

Track-tracea month ago

Hi Alex which country are you from ?

Common gps trackers that are supported by traccar, are trackers that use the Watch protocol.

Alexa month ago

Mexico.

Should I just ask the manufacturer to use this protocol?

The main thing you need to make sure is that device is configurable so that you use your own server. Most common protocols are already supported and new ones can be implemented.

Track-tracea month ago

@Alex,

Most manufacturers use their own protocol. So its not a case that you should ask them to use the watch protocol. What i meant to say is that trackers that use the watch protocol are surely supported. That said there a already many other protocols that are support by traccar server.
But from what i have seen the watch protocol works good and there are many tracker models for pet trackers that use it.

Important to know (ask the seller) if it is possible to change the server ip in the device (point it to your own server). And for watch protocol you should use devices that do not use encryption (since its not implemented in traccar server watch protocol).

Alexa month ago

Thanks guys already looking into that with the manufacturer.

In regards to App development, would an MVP take long to develop with a good developer?

What is MVP? What is missing from Traccar?

Alexa month ago

Minimum Viable Product

So I can make an App with my Brand and customers can use my branded devices

I understand what the abbreviation mean. I don't understand the features you want. If you just want branding, it should be trivial to implement.

By the way, if you didn't know, we also provide branding services.

Alexa month ago

Perfect, let me look into that!

SwayDev25 days ago

I have done this using Traccar specifically targeting the pet tracking use-case, with few thousand user base.

The only challenge I faced almost always was with "Hardware", I tried a lot of them and customized a few as well.

If you want any help/advise feel free to post specific questions and I can try to answer to the best of my knowledge.